Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Network Growth)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
At the Merchant Engagement Engineering team, we make products that are a joy for developers to integrate, thus making it easy for Merchants and Partners to unlock the value of being part of the Affirm network. Our goal is to build a flexible, scaleable, robust platform to provide the best possible purchasing experience be it online or in-store.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer to build out financial products and features providing new levels of accessibility and flexibility to our users. You will architect, design, and implement new API and microservice interfaces to manage every users’ transaction with Affirm. You will also use your technical skillset to find opportunities to improve the performance and reliability of the systems that drive the user journey through purchasing with Affirm.
We are experiencing explosive growth with millions of customers across thousands of merchants in-store and online, and your technical leadership will be a key enabler of that growth. Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
What You'll Do
- Technical strategy for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems
- Participate in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs
- Actively own checkout systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems
- Collaborate with engineers within our team and across the organization to build the next generation of the checkout platform
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes throughout the organization
What We Look For
- 6-10+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities
- Experience with Python or Kotlin
- Experience building thoughtfully designed, highly performant interfaces
- Prior experience mentoring other engineers in a technical capacity through sharing your learnings and providing feedback that will help the team grow
- Proven track record of developing, testing, and shipping high-quality software at scale
- Product-centric thinking -- we care just as much about the product experience (ours, our stakeholders', and our company's) as we do the design of our engineering systems.
- Architecturally focused by driving discussions and technical decisions within your team and beyond
- Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Empathetic to the user experience and thoughtful about what we can do to make it better
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of hire.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Something looks off?