Senior Counsel, Capital Markets
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Our legal team is looking to add a Senior Counsel, Capital Markets to its growing ranks. This lawyer will help support broad-based efforts to build a diversified capitalization strategy. One should have a robust understanding of financing and corporate transactions, along with a desire to learn and grow in a legal role focused on capital markets and finance. In addition, this lawyer should have outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills, be capable of prioritizing responsibilities, and have the desire to work with internal and external customers. This attorney will report to a Managing Counsel and work closely with Affirm’s capital markets business team.
What You’ll Do
- Support the capital markets team in building out the company’s network of capital sources and strategies
- Support the bank partnerships team in building out the company's network of partner banks
- Guide each financing transaction or initiative from a legal perspective, from strategy discussions to deal execution
- Draft, review and negotiate all capital markets deal documents, including credit and security agreements, loan sale agreements, indentures, officer certificates, board and shareholder resolutions, and side letters
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of lending and securities laws and regulations relating to capital markets transactions
- Communicate legal advice in a clear, concise, and timely manner
- Provide assistance with respect to other special projects
What We Look For
- 5+ years of relevant law-firm experience, and we'd prefer some additional in-house experience (particularly if it's from a high-growth fintech start-up)
- JD degree from a well regarded law school and membership (in good standing) in a US state bar
- Previous legal experience in structured and/or debt finance--term, revolving, and asset-based lending; warehouse and asset-backed financing; loan sales; securitizations; and creative forms of funding
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills, to facilitate negotiations with external and internal customers
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, meticulous attention to detail, maturity, an eye for business, proactivity, and an excellent attitude
- Self-motivation and a willingness to take ownership of projects
- Natural self-starter, with the ability to work efficiently (both solo and as part of a team)
- Outstanding integrity and work ethic
USA Pacific base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT): $190,000 - $284,900
USA Sapphire base pay range (all other U.S. states): $171,000 - $256,500
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We have a simple and transparent remote-first grade-based compensation structure. Offer amounts within the range are based on a number of factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Across the broader organization, certain roles are eligible for equity awards upon hire, promotion, tenure milestones and for performance.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.