Lead Advanced Analytics, Trust & Safety
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
We are looking for an Advanced Analytics Lead to help Airbnb enable travel for our millions of guests and hosts on our platform. This role will sit under the Advanced Analytics family and support Product and Business leaders within our Trust organization. The Trust organization protects, guides, and mobilizes the creation and defense of trust in our community and on our platform.
The Trust Experience Analytics team within Global Operations enables, facilitates, and streamlines integrated data-driven decision making across the Trust Product, Operations & Policy organizations. The team is committed to operational excellence and community experience through a culture of problem-solving, guided by data and research. We inject quantitative measurements into our user journey, product defense and frictions, processes and implement objective indicators of success.
The Difference You Will Make:
You will be a part of a Trust product & operations data squad composed of product managers, engineers, ops analysts, data analysts and data scientists designing and building scalable and robust products and systems to detect and support the mitigation of fraud activities across the entire platform (Account Integrity, Content Integrity, Financial Fraud, Safety, Identity etc.). You will both develop and support the creation of robust data insights through cross-functional partnerships, and will utilize and help to strengthen and improve the end-to-end trusted user journey (pre-trip, on-trip and post-trip). You will create data narratives and influence experimentation platforms to guide the seamless execution of new products, processes and systems, balancing the safety and expression needs of our community and business and operational challenges.
In addition, you will leverage Airbnb’s rich and unique data, state-of-art machine learning infrastructure, and other central data science tools to build and grow the measurement capacity within the organization. You will also be deeply involved in the technical details of the various systems we build, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers, designers and operations agents to achieve shared, cross-functional goals to help keep Airbnb’s community safe and trusted.
- You are passionate about solving complex problems within the Trust & Safety domain with data & insights; adding a new perspective to existing solutions and making business decisions based on careful and thoughtful analysis
- You are highly proficient in building and analyzing analytical frameworks, statistical models and experimentation methods to establish and communicate causal relationships
- You are a storyteller who uses complex data and insights to frame narratives to bring others along the journey
A Typical Day:
- Lead and drive data-driven product roadmap for the Trust - Safety & Identity working groups. Recommend actionable solutions backed by data and metrics to product problems, with the ability to effectively communicate with Product & Engineering managers of varying technical levels
- Build the business insights & reporting platform to detect and support the mitigation of potential fraud behavior and actors across the Airbnb platform
- Perform data modeling of the various entities involved in the Trust creation and defense including hosts, guests, agents, and others using tools & frameworks for optimizing community end-to-end journey by minimizing undesired frictions while introducing proactive product defenses on our platform
- Defining and evaluating key metrics in an unstructured problem space including measurement of the ML models that drive product development. Communicating a robust understanding of what moves these metrics and why
- Influence data-driven decisions across business verticals in day-to-day via business reviews, scorecards, self-serve portal, OKRs and planning among others
- Influence experimentation & measurement strategies; conduct power analyses, define exit criteria, and use statistical models to improve inference. Your expertise in causal inference as well as passion for the subject matter will help you address this unstructured space
- A minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in business analytics and a degree (Masters or PhD is a plus) in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Data Science, Operations Research).
- Have experience supporting trust and safety team and/or have worked closely with policy, content moderation, or security teams
- Expert skills in SQL and expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (Python or R). Experience with non-experimental causal inference methods, experimentation and machine learning techniques, ideally in a multi-sided platform setting
- Working knowledge of schema design and high-dimensional data modeling (ETL framework like Airflow)
- Ability to work under conditions of ambiguity in a fast-growth, sometimes uncertain and complex environment - comfortable acting with minimal planning, direction, and supervision. You can identify issues both within and outside of your immediate scope, and propose solutions.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.