Staff Program Manager Early Career & Onboarding
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Technical Education and Development (TechED) team at Airbnb focuses on helping our tech team members build up technical skills and best practices aligned with Airbnb’s tech priorities to enable them to do their best work.
The Difference You Will Make:
This role will focus on managing, evolving and delivering the programs that give employees and apprentices their start in our Tech team. From apprenticeship programs, returnships, rotations and onboarding - the person in this role is a facilitator of opportunity and an enabler of talent.
The Connect program is a 6-month engineering apprenticeship that gives people from non-traditional technical backgrounds an onramp to a potential career at Airbnb. The program is comprised of a 3-month training period where all apprentices are supported in building up their foundational knowledge of our tech stack across frontend, backend, and mobile engineering domains, followed by a 3-month team placement period, where they roll onto teams from across the company to make real task and project contributions towards that team’s priorities.
In addition to the Connect program, this role provides an opportunity to lend technical guidance and direction to additional TechED programs:
Returnship pilot program in India: Working with our Talent partners and Engineering Leadership in India the Returnship program is designed to create an equal opportunity for those who have taken time away from their careers (often for child or elder caregiving responsibilities) and are interested in re-entering the workforce.
Rotation program: In partnership with our Talent partners you will help develop and drive a Rotation program for early career engineers to rotate through different teams to get a feel for various parts of the business.
Tech Bootcamp: Drive content and direction for new hire onboarding program
A Typical Day:
Key Responsibilities - Lead Technical Instructor + Curriculum Designer
- Create a cohesive overall learning experience for apprentices to build up their foundational knowledge in frontend, backend, iOS, and Android domains
- Create an innovative onboarding experience that enables new hires to have an immediate impact on their team
- Work with curriculum team on training material needs, both the creation of new content—lectures, codelabs, projects, self-paced pathways, etc— and refresh of existing, to ensure curriculum is aligned with the skills apprentices and new hires need to be successful on their teams
- Deliver lectures and facilitate other asynchronous learning experiences as needed
- Train and enable the curriculum team to effectively support apprentices and new hires, through enrichment opportunities like guest lecturing, team buddies, bootcamp hosts, code reviewing, office hours, shadowing, etc…
Key Responsibilities - Program Management
- Recruit, onboard and mentor contributors to ensure quality delivery standards
- Partner with the Early Career and Emerging Talent recruiting team to reach the right candidates and support the application process
- Report on health of program and impact. Manage program metrics for team dashboard and leadership presentation
- Collaborate with other L&D teams, talent partners, and TechED program managers to ensure consistency and communication across all programs
- Champion and evangelize program with Engineering Sr Leadership and Head of Diversity & Belonging
Key Responsibilities - People Manager
- Provide clear, actionable feedback on technical skill development and growth opportunities for each apprentice through 1:1s and performance reviews
- Supporting additional skill development in non-technical domains that lead to success in software engineer roles at Airbnb, such as communication, collaboration, managing up, how to manage imposter syndrome, etc…
- Demonstrate core values and belonging behaviors
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years managing/mentoring software engineers
- 5+ years program management, preferably in an L&D role
- Demonstrated ability to manage several programs and initiatives at once, executing against a broad roadmap
- Passion for increasing diversity in the technology community
- Exposure to learning platforms (e.g., Continu, LinkedIn Learning)
- Proficiency in Google Apps (Gmail, Gcal, docs, sheets)
- Strong work ethic, professionalism, courtesy, and strong interpersonal skills
- Acute attention to detail and follow through, highly organized
- Strong Engagement skills (Internal & External) - Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Flexible, adaptable, solutions oriented in the face of problems
- Ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Passion for trying, learning, improving, and sharing best practices
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Something looks off?