Senior Manager, Experience Design (Design System)
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
Airbnb’s Design team is looking for a Senior Manager to help modernize our products, systems, visual standards and enrich our Host and Guest experiences. This person will be a hands-on inspirational leader of a large and specialized team elevating Airbnb’s design language through expressive craft and experimentation, innovating what we make and how we make it.
The difference you will make:
As a Senior Manager of Experience Design, you will be a key voice in the future of Airbnb’s Design System. You will be responsible for shaping the team’s vision, strategy, and the end user experience in partnership with fellow design teams and cross-functional partners. You will be focused on innovation, both near-term and long-term.
You will support, coach and develop a range of specialized reports, from visual experts to prototyping specialists to interface designers. You’ll establish design directions, work with cross-functional partners, and collaborate with fellow teams to deliver and build highly polished experiences. You and your direct reports will author high quality digital products, tools, and education to the broader Design organization. Together, you will be the stewards of systematic thinking, intuitive interactions, and attention to every pixel.
The ideal candidate is an experienced design leader, well-versed in vision setting, communication, organizational leadership, and people-centric management. Together with fellow Design Managers and Directors, you will be responsible for the impact and health of the design team, as well as the end-to-end user experiences they create. Success in this role is defined by team sentiment as well as the quality, impact, consistency, ease of use and beauty of your work. This Senior Manager role will report to the Director of Studio.
A typical day:
- Oversee the creation, evolution, and usability of our Design System as well as our quality resources and accessibility standards.
- Build and manage a well-rounded team of Experience Designers that consistently deliver on Airbnb’s priorities and design high-quality products and experiences.
- Collaborate closely with Design leadership on overall team performance, health, resource allocation, prioritization, and building a culture of design excellence.
- In close partnership with Product, Engineering, Data Science, Research and UX Writing, drive a holistic vision and strategy and lead multiple initiatives from inception to launch.
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientist, Researchers and Writers to define problems & goals, and new features and components for our Design System.
- 12+ yrs of product design experience.
- 5+ years experience managing or leading design teams in matrixed organizations.
- Experience teaching, mentoring, building and promoting an inviting and inclusive design culture.
- Systems-thinker with the ability to execute beyond the pixels, designing for online and offline experiences.
- Strong collaborator with design leadership, program management, engineering, content, research, and fellow design managers.
- Track record of designing and shipping high-quality products and global user experiences across multiple platforms (e.g. web, mobile, Android, iOS).
- Patient and optimistic approach within the team, adjacent teams, partners and our community.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity and be open to working West coast hours. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.