Senior Software Engineer, Anti-Discrimination & Equity Intelligence
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The community you will join
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. The Trust organization is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards.
Within the Trust organization, the Anti-Discrimination & Equity Intelligence team researches, designs, and builds the tools for Project Lighthouse, a groundbreaking initiative to measure and evaluate discrimination while preserving the privacy of users’ data.
The difference you will make
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with expertise in systems design, product engineering, data engineering, and analysis to drive the evolution of Project Lighthouse. You will have the unique career opportunity to push the boundaries of measuring and mitigating discrimination in the Airbnb ecosystem, and through our open source commitments, the Tech industry.
A typical week
- Collaborate closely with the team’s Product Manager on the strategic product roadmap for Project Lighthouse
- Develop and productionize new tools to measure discrimination
- Advise and support Data Scientists in their use of Project Lighthouse tools
- Contribute to the development of the service-oriented infrastructure that drives Project Lighthouse
- Contribute to the development of Project Lighthouse’s underlying privacy algorithms and data governance standards
- Be a role model and mentor for your colleagues
- Collaborate with other engineers across the Trust organization and Airbnb as a whole to promote and adopt best practices, identify efficiencies and prevent duplicate efforts, and foster opportunities for increased individual and team impact
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Strong system design skills
- Strong proficiency in Java, microservices, and working with AWS products
- Working knowledge of performing statistical analysis on numerical and categorical data
- Dedication to reaching ever higher levels of quality and rigor in your and your teammates’ work
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude and passion for working collaboratively on a highly cross-functional team that includes engineering, product, data science, program management, policy, privacy, and legal constituents
- Commitment to the craft of mentorship
- Deep commitment to anti-racism in Tech
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our commitment to Inclusion & Belonging
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.