Senior Software Engineer, Payments
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
The Compliance organization, within Payments, ensures Airbnb is continuously compliant with all worldwide financial regulations across every transaction and for every participant on this platform. The Foundation organization within this group builds the critical platform architecture, tools, and frameworks to ensure that this can be done accurately, efficiently, and in real time for dozens of types of controls. The teams in the organization are highly autonomous and collaborative as they partner with other teams to provide a platform that can do this accurately and at scale.
The Difference You Will Make:
As an engineer on this team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the cornerstone infrastructure that enables evaluation of every financial transaction on Airbnb. These systems must be performant, accurate, resilient, and well tested. Your work will establish the architecture that all Risk & Compliance functionality are built on in the future.
Your day-to-day responsibilities includes:
- Design, build, test, and operate platform capabilities and patterns for enforcing global policies on every financial transaction
- Expand the patterns of hooks into upstream product flows, allowing for earlier Risk & Compliance evaluations
- Partner closely with other Engineers and Product Managers to inform or influence the platform capabilities their products require
- Build systems using offline data to inform real time decisions
- Evaluate and prototype with new technologies and techniques to create a single platform ecosystem across the evaluate, enforce, and audit lifecycle
- Provide training, documentation, and coaching to other engineering teams on how best to utilize our platform solutions
- Mentor and support other engineers in the team and related teams
- 5+ years industry engineering experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Comfortable navigating ambiguity and ownership of problem definitions
- Strong proficiency in Java and building fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Able to self-serve on data analysis and make data driven decisions
- Track history of building and operating high-scale large impact systems
- Passion for building strong collaborative relationships with other engineering & product partners
- Experience mentoring and guiding junior developers on technical quality best practices
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. . This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application,, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.