Chief Compliance Officer, Luxembourg
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
About the Team
At Airbnb the Payments Compliance Team maintains a global regulatory compliance program that supports 220 countries, 66 currencies, connects dozens of payment providers and banks, and processes multiple billions of dollars. The Compliance team is tasked with protecting the payments that run through our payments infrastructure by building controls into our products, investigating unusual activities, filing regulatory reports with relevant regulatory agencies and carrying out economic sanctions screening. In this role you would oversee policy in the European Economic Area (EEA) and ensure that day-to-day compliance operational activities are maintained to Airbnb’s high internal standards, you will interact with our regulatory agencies and participate in regulatory inspections.
The Airbnb Compliance team is building a scalable Compliance foundation to support regulatory compliance on a global scale, the team helps the company grow by ensuring that the payments product can continue to grow in a safe and compliant fashion.
You will lead the team of local compliance experts and analysts of Airbnb Payments Luxembourg S.A. (APL) and report into the global head of Payments Compliance who is based in the US. APL is licensed by the Luxembourg authorities to provide payments services to users in the European Economic Area which is the focus of this role.
Who We’re Looking For
First and foremost, we’re looking for people who know and use Airbnb and believe in what we’re trying to accomplish. Airbnb is a marketplace that connects guests and hosts but provides the level of trust needed to enable each transaction. Payments Compliance is central to creating that trust, which is why Payments Compliance is a core and strategic part of Airbnb.
The Chief Compliance Officer for the European Economic Area will help us continue to build our compliance program for the EEA and beyond. In collaboration with Compliance leadership, you will define the strategy for Compliance, ensuring we’re able to protect and grow our community with best in class payments. You’ll work with a cross functional team of engineers, data scientists, compliance operations, and legal to develop the core of our compliance program, to ensure the safety of the payments that flow through Airbnb. If this sounds like an interesting challenge to you, we’d love to meet!
A Typical Day:
- Compliance advisory - advise the Board, the Management, and business functions on all compliance (especially ML/TF) matters.
- Manage the team of compliance specialists at APL and collaborate with compliance teams in other jurisdictions to ensure seamless customer experience
- Prepare and ensure ontime lodgement of all regulatory reports (AML questionnaire, Compliance Summary Report, AML risk assessment)
- Define and own implementation of APL Compliance Policy and Procedures and ensure they reflect all regulatory or business changes.
- Develop the annual compliance plan that reflects the changing regulatory environment, addresses identified areas of improvement, and caters to Airbnb’s and APL’s evolving operating model.
- Oversee and monitor execution of the compliance controls and programs including the internal control testing programme and quality assurance.
- Oversee and monitor outsourcing arrangements related to compliance operations.
- Conduct ML/TF and Compliance risk assessment as required and present findings to the Management, Board and Regulators
- Manage interactions with regulators on all regulatory compliance and ML/TF matters including the prompt response to all requests and enquiries.
- Work with internal and external auditors to ensure timely delivery of audits and drive issue remediation and closure
- Develop and provide annual compliance training to all persons (employees, consultants, service providers, vendors) working for APL on compliance related matters
- Work with our legal and policy teams to develop risk based compliant solutions for all regulatory change and requirements
- 8+ years Compliance management experience in dynamic and fast-paced transactional environments in a highly regulated environment. Strong preference given to candidates who have managed payments, banking or other financial services or e-commerce compliance programmes in Europe or the EEA.,Demonstrated knowledge and/or the ability to identify anti-money laundering and economic sanctions typologies related to the payments and e-commerce space
- Deep understanding of AML, KYC, Sanctions and other relevant Compliance requirements in the e-commerce space and the high-tech low customer friction controls possible to meet these requirements.
- Extensive experience representing and leading a payments entity and its Compliance programme in meetings with regulatory agencies, examiners and auditors. Strong preference for candidates with existing relationships with the regulators in Luxembourg (CSSF, FIU).
- Prior management responsibility to lead the compliance team in Luxembourg including compliance operational activities working with European regulatory requirements, ability to manage to meet regulatory requirements, specified service level agreements and key performance indicators
- Knowledge of EU outsourcing requirements
- Understand the needs of our customers both internal and external, ability to grow a Compliance program by continuously building and iterating
- Ability to create partnerships both inside and outside of the Compliance organization
- Exceptional decision making skills: given limited resources, how do you prioritize across needs?
- Thrives in a startup environment: loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
- Prior experience leading compliance programs focused on AML, KYC, Sanctions and other relevant Compliance requirements. Fintech and platform experience strongly preferred, experience collaborating with external partners and auditors
- Professional certification in compliance risk management
- Growth mindset: effectively balances the need to protect the community with the need to grow the community
- Global perspective: experience with global payment programs and global teams
- Operations: experience working with operations teams, making smart investments in tools and workflow processes to scale up the team
- Scale: knows how to start small but build big
- Ability to lead a team and motivate people to excel under pressure
- An extremely high level of personal integrity and discipline
- Strong communication, critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.
This position needs to be based in the Luxembourg office 40 hours a week, or as required by the business needs for the role.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.