Engineering Manager, Marketing Technology
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Marketing Technology’s mission is to provide a state of the art platform and measurement capabilities to enable our product and marketing teams to effectively deliver highly personalized and relevant marketing campaigns to the global Airbnb community via landing pages on airbnb.com and various communication channels like Email, SMS and Push notifications.
This role specifically is to lead the Orchestration and Segmentation platform (OSP) team under Marketing technology. The OSP team is responsible for building mission critical applications that allow marketers and product managers across Airbnb to send millions of notifications every day to hundreds of millions of Airbnb users daily. The OSP team also owns the Audience platform which allows users to segment the Airbnb user base across hundreds of available attributes to allow for precise targeting for different campaigns.
The Difference You Will Make:
- Be a visionary in helping build the next generation of the Orchestration and Segmentation platform for Airbnb.
- Drive the team’s technical strategy by combining a strategic understanding of our highest level product goals with a deep understanding of our existing systems to inform the right technical and product tradeoffs for both short and long term.
- Lead a team of highly motivated engineers to help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
- Partner closely with Product managers, TPMs, Marketing operations and other engineering managers across Airbnb to build and execute on the team’s roadmap.
- Optimizing team operation to empower the team to achieve a high level of productivity, reliability and simplicity (planning, prioritization, knowledge distribution, design review, incidents response, etc)
- Championing Airbnb’s culture of belonging
- Hiring and coaching the engineering talent on your team
A Typical Day:
- Support the team to set and meet their goals with a high level of fit and finish
- Showcase the team’s work in front of senior leaders, clearly communicate trade-offs, risks and opportunities to a broad set of stakeholders
- Proactively share context with the team, help the team connect the dots of their work with broader company initiatives
- Be able to answer questions about ongoing initiatives, architecture and systems, staffing situations
- Have regular 1:1s and meaningful career conversations with your reports
- Have the technical acumen to partner with tech leads and are comfortable helping drive incident resolution and deliver continuous improvement to team’s foundational goals
- Lead or contribute to efforts that help boost diversity and belonging on the team and beyond
- 3-5+ years of engineering management experience, with 9+ years of of relevant software development industry experience in a fast paced tech environment
- Flexible in leadership style, can adapt to a variety of ways of working depends on the situation
- Experience leading and shipping large initiatives with high business impact
- Creating a strong culture of operational excellence with focus on raising the bar for quality, reliability and availability
- Good judgment in making tradeoffs to balance short-term business needs with long-term technical quality
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams
- Strong communication skill and ability to influence decisions from a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience fostering an inclusive and engaging team environment
- Able to identify, retain, grow and acquire critical talent
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.