Staff Backend Engineer, Media Foundation
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
We are building Airbnb’s next-gen Media infrastructure to help unlock a whole slew of immersive product features. As part of the Application Foundation Org, you collaborate with your team to build and improve the foundation that powers products across Airbnb.
The Difference You Will Make:
As the Media Foundation Staff Backend Engineer, you work in a team of talented & diverse software engineers to build & operate Airbnb’s Media infrastructure. You play a significant role in shaping the technical vision and then delivering a solution that is flexible, efficient and scales with the needs of the business. Each individual brings their own unique skill set, experiences, thought leadership and technical expertise to solve these technical challenges for Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to execute on product and business strategy and build novel products and features that our users will love.
- Contribute to the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks.
- Continuously learn and improve your technical and non-technical abilities.
- You will ideate and prototype solutions that address concerns that are unique to the Airbnb Media hosting and media processing.
- 9+ years of relevant software development experience in a fast paced tech environment.
- MUST have a solid understanding of real-time image and video processing.
- You possess strong software skills in Java.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering, product & design organizations
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, technical quality and system quality.
- Experience working with a microservice architecture at scale is a plus.
- Experience working with video protocols and modern video codecs is a plus.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.