Staff Software Engineer, Data Management
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our Data Infrastructure organization and lead our efforts in data governance. In this role, you will work with cross-functional teams to develop and implement policies, standards, and processes to ensure the quality, accuracy, and security of our data assets.
A Typical Day:
- Develop and implement data governance policies and processes, including data classification, data lineage, data quality, data privacy, and data retention.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure data governance policies and processes are aligned with business goals and regulatory requirements.
- Work with data infrastructure engineers, data engineers, data scientists and product managers to implement data governance frameworks and tools, including a data inventory catalog, metadata management, and data access controls.
- Design and implement data quality and validation processes to ensure the accuracy and completeness of data.
- Develop and implement data privacy policies and procedures, including data anonymization, encryption, and access controls.
- Develop and implement data retention policies and procedures to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct data governance audits and assessments to identify areas of improvement and provide recommendations to stakeholders and leadership.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 9+ years of experience in software engineering, with a focus on data infrastructure.
- Experience working with data storage and distributed processing technologies, such as Hive, Spark, Trino, Flink or SQL databases.
- Strong programming skills in one or more of the following languages: Java, Python, or Scala.
- Experience with data governance tools and technologies, such as data catalog, metadata management, and data access controls.
- Strong knowledge of data governance frameworks, policies, and processes, including data classification, data lineage, data quality, data privacy and retention.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to learn quickly within a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.