Tech Lead Manager, Data Science - Algorithms
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Trust is at the heart of every Airbnb experience, with our aim being to establish ourselves as the most trusted platform globally. The Trust team is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a Data Science Tech Lead Manager in Trust, you'll be working shoulder-to-shoulder with skilled engineers, product managers, designers, and operations agents to build scalable and robust systems that enable us to efficiently detect, prevent, and mitigate fraud at Airbnb. Your involvement in the development of highly available and real-time risk detection services will be crucial, necessitating a deep understanding of ever-evolving attack vectors to keep Airbnb a trusted and safe community.
In this role, you will be at the forefront of technological advancement, utilizing state-of-the-art technology in deep neural networks, large language models, and reinforcement learning methods to build Airbnb's defense system. Moreover, you will be responsible for establishing best practices, architecting solutions, and designing processes. This role is not just about leadership; it's also about getting your hands dirty, diving into technical work as needed.
We're looking for a unique blend of leadership and hands-on expertise to ensure the continuous growth and development of our team. Come join us at Airbnb, where we use cutting-edge technology to keep our platform safe and trusted worldwide.
A Typical Day:
- Deep understanding of Machine Learning best practices (eg. training/serving skew minimization, feature engineering, feature/model selection), algorithms (eg. gradient boosted trees, neural networks/deep learning, optimization) and domains (eg. natural language processing, computer vision, personalization and recommendation, anomaly detection).
- Industry experience building end-to-end Machine Learning system and/or building and productionizing Machine Learning models.
- As a Tech Lead Manager, you will direct a team of data scientists in utilizing advanced ML/AI technologies to detect high-risk activities and entities, ensuring platform integrity and reducing fraudulent activities.
- Experience with test driven development, familiar with A/B testing, incremental delivery and deployment.
- Working cross functionally with operations and product teams to define and collect labels for model training, optimize effectiveness of manual review, and build self-satisfiable verifications that scale.
- Devising optimization models to make optimal business decisions while minimizing risk.
- 8+ years industry experience and an advanced degree in a quantitative field.
- 5+ years of management experience in developing machine learning models at scale from inception to business impact.
- Understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinnings, such as classification, clustering, optimization.
- Comfortable in SQL and proficiency in one of the tools such as Python, R, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive technical and impactful roadmaps for the business, and lead seamless execution of it.
- Passion for management and creating opportunities for career growth for team members.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional partners of varying technical levels.
- Relevant trust and fraud mitigation experience is a plus.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.