Staff Backend Engineer, Search Input
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb’s Search Input team is responsible for the front-door to Airbnb’s guest product and search experience. The team aims to help users express their trip intents & preferences easily, surface dynamic & recommended filters adapting to what users need, and help them navigate Airbnb’s app and site to find the ideal listings for their trip.
The team works on a number of highly impactful surfaces across Airbnb’s Search and key product pages, such as the delivery of innovative product features like Airbnb Rooms, Airbnb Categories, along with new & exciting Filter additions.
The team is highly collaborative with its partners in design, product, data science, creative, and marketing to deliver features and experiences used by millions of people. We also work closely with other engineering teams on systems that enable engineers to: develop more efficiently; create improvements that make the product more performant and configurable; and build architecture that’s scalable and robust.
The Difference You Will Make:
- Develop new, highly-impact product features on Airbnb’s search and other high-traffic surfaces.
- Work closely with cross functional partners in design, product, marketing, and data science to bring new features from design to production.
- Prototype new features to collect feedback and iterate on to reach ideal product solutions for Airbnb guests.
- Effectively advise stakeholders on the technical scope and feasibility of complex product requirements.
- Communicate product direction and needs to the foundation and infrastructure teams, and collaborate on defining the technical requirements for future systems.
- Write technical specifications for new features and systems.
- Mentor, guide, advocate and support the career growth of individual contributors.
- 9+ years of experience in a hands-on software engineering role in backend / full-stack development.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master/PhD’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience working in Java and/or Kotlin
- Passionate about efficiency, availability, technical quality and system quality.
- Passionate about design and UX sensibilities, building UX products
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work well within engineering organization and cross functions.
- Love collaborating via code reviews and architecture discussions, and are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- Experience working with a microservice architecture at scale.
- [Bonus] Experience working on a Product team or customer-centric software supporting a medium to large engineering organization.
- [Bonus] Show motivation for personal growth and learning new technologies to support the team’s needs
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: email@example.com. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.