Public Policy Associate, DACH
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
Airbnb’s public policy team exists to further the interests of our community of hosts and guests with politicians, regulators, opinion leaders and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, helping them to understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform. Across the EMEA region, we are engaged in well over a hundred local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small. We engage governments at local, regional and national levels directly and also use innovative advocacy and partnership strategies that actively involve our community and our stakeholders in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules.
We organise ourselves in integrated campaign groups, drawing on a wide range of tools and disciplines - from detailed policy and government relations work, through high-impact partnerships, proactive media relations, community organising, digital platforms and content, polling, and innovative data science and research. We use the combined might of these disciplines to progress our overall policy agenda.
The difference you will make:
We are looking for a Public Policy & Compliance Associate to support our campaigns and compliance efforts across DACH, with a focus on the German federal states and cities as well as Switzerland. This role is a key member of the multi-skilled campaign team, defining policy goals and positions, co-shaping and implementing the campaign team’s strategy as well as developing strategic partnerships. You will be working alongside other functional experts who support those goals through content, community engagement and media relations.
This role will report to the Senior Public Policy Manager DACH/CEE.
In this role you must be skilled in policy engagement with a wide variety of external stakeholders at national and regional but also at local level - able to work proactively with elected officials, governments as well as administrative bodies to help support compliance needs and help stakeholders understand the contribution of the collaborative economy to sustainable tourism.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb’s mission, and have proven experience in regulatory, tax and compliance work in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context.
Frequent travel within DACH should be expected, along with occasional travel within Europe and to our global headquarters in San Francisco.
A typical day:
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges;
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities;
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of compliance products, services and policies and manage the operational implementation of national and local policy proposals and legislative measures, working with colleagues in our legal and California-based product teams;
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with an extensive network of political contacts on federal state level, and in the national government;
- Act as Airbnb’s representative in meetings with government and political stakeholders, in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative registrations, and authoring issue briefs and position papers;
- Support the DACH Policy Team in developing political strategies and priorities, advise on local needs, plan relevant compliance or political activities and design policy positions across these geographies;
- Identify partnership and alliance opportunities - new potential partners and partnerships programmes - work with partners to develop MOU’s, work with internal teams to deliver on partner MOU’s and maintain partner/stakeholder relationships;
- Support manage the consultants who provide on-the-ground support, ensuring that they are properly briefed and engaging energetically on behalf of Airbnb in line with the agreed strategy;
- At least five years of direct experience working with complex political, regulatory or compliance issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. Ideally, this experience has been built in travel, urbanism or technology.
- Excellent knowledge of the political landscape and legislative processes in Germany are mandatory. Some knowledge of the political landscape in other DACH countries, as well as the EU level, would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to establish networks within political stakeholder communities on local, regional and/or national level;
- Experience of managing complex regulatory or compliance projects with multiple stakeholders. Highly organized and able to stay on top of multiple projects simultaneously;
- An eye for detail - with an ability to very quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues;
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal, writing and presentation skills; First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills;
- A tracked record of partnerships would be an advantage;
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner;
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment;
- Strong verbal and written fluency German and English. You must submit your application in English please.
- Airbnb’s office in Germany is located in Berlin, and the role will be based here.
- Ability to travel regularly within the DACH region
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.