Senior Communications Manager, Japan
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Airbnb Communications team is responsible for telling Airbnb’s story around the world.
We help drive consideration and usage of our products and services in addition to generating buzz, supporting the legitimization of our community, and promoting trust in our brand. We lead the communications strategy to make Airbnb synonymous with magical travel and the world’s leading platform for hospitality entrepreneurs.
We speak to the media, influencers, hosts and guests, industry commentators, thought leaders and the wider community - we are the voice of Airbnb. We’re a fast growing, high-energy team with a passion for people, places and great stories. If you’d like to be part of one of the world’s greatest teams, come tell us your story.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are hiring a Senior Communications Manager for Japan. The role is responsible for delivering large scale consumer-facing campaigns, as well ensuring a regular press-office drumbeat of stories and news designed to drive awareness and consideration of Airbnb across Japan.
The successful candidate will work closely with cross-functional partners to ensure Airbnb is front and centre in consumer-facing media and will also help maintain and advance the company’s position with relevant policy and corporate stakeholders, telling our story to a wide range of journalists, influencers and community members.
We’re looking for an effective and creative communications all-rounder who has their finger on the pulse of popular culture and an impressive network of journalist contacts across a wide range of consumer media space including the travel, lifestyle, technology, culture and entertainment media space.
The role is based in Japan and reports to the Head of Communications for Japan.
A Typical Day:
- Translate global communications priorities into locally nuanced ideas that support Airbnb’s key business objectives in the local market
- Identify proactive press opportunities and drive national/global announcements, in support of consumer, policy and corporate communications goals
- Initiate, own and drive initiatives and campaigns through consumer media and influencers
- Develop and manage relationships with key reporters and celebrities/ influencers across Japan
- Develop an executive thought leadership communications program (op-eds, panels etc.) for Airbnb’s local leadership team
- Manage reactive press requests and ensure utilization of all tools available (data, industry research, host stories, etc.) to support Airbnb’s community and brand.
- Develop written materials (story pitches, messaging guidelines, Q&As, briefs, presentations, speeches etc.)
- Help manage a local agency and ensure key processes are adhered to, including coverage reporting, press office calendar management and the filtering and translation of key global press materials
- Help prepare Airbnb spokespeople (Country Managers, Airbnb execs etc.) for public speaking engagements, media interviews, product launches etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- More than 8 years PR/Public Affairs experience working in an agency, in-house communications or a government communications role; preference to those with tech/ travel/publicly listed company experience
- Proven-track record working on creative consumer communications initiatives that have generated wide spread awareness and brand buzz
- Good knowledge of public policy matters - more specifically relating to tourism, technology, or the sharing economy
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-functional leads in a matrix organization
- Excellent writing skills with samples to share
- Confident in leading meetings with external partners, senior stakeholders and media contacts
- Passion for Airbnb and the mission of the company
- Experience working on projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional verbal communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain enthusiasm and a calm demeanor in stressful situations
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.