Senior Staff Data Engineer, BizTech
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
BizTech hosts Airfam through innovative tools and technologies, enabling a community based approach for how we collaborate and connect. We step forward as trusted business partners to deliver technology and services that fuel Airbnb’s innovation, disruption, and growth.
BizTech is responsible for some of the critical data needs for the company. These include Operational Needs (Treasury, Accounting, Cash, Policy, Sales), Business Needs (eTeam reporting, Critical business metrics), Guest & Host needs (Tax documents, Claims), Regulatory Needs (Payments compliance, Tax compliance, Legal compliance).
The Difference You Will Make:
We are seeking hands-on expertise, to provide technical leadership to various data engineering needs in BizTech and drive the long term strategy and best practices. This position is a pivotal technical leadership role and demands strong leadership, collaboration and influencing across the organization. You will be working with current and emerging data platforms, guiding teams on delivery, best practices and owning accountability for data quality and data governance. Your prior experience in building large scale data solutions with hands-on development experience, excellent analytical skills, flexibility, innovative thinking, problem solving, conflict management, and self-motivation will be needed.
A Typical Day:
- Help to define and communicate long term strategy & priorities for BizTech data needs
- Elevate Data Engineering paved path at Airbnb and help BizTech data engineers to play a significant role
- Help foster relationships with other key data engineering teams and leaders at Airbnb and influence for a better overall data story at Airbnb
- Lead designing and reviewing all aspects of modern data and analytic platforms including artifact creation such as ERD, architecture design and other technical documents
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development of logging standards, data governance, data processing principles, design patterns and practices
- Develop innovative strategies, processes and best practices to reduce technical debt, improve data quality and increase observability and reliability
- Research, design, test, and evaluate new technologies, platforms and third party products
- Be the voice of the engineer and maximize the growth and impact of other senior engineers through mentorship and advice
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience leading development of a modern data architecture and data governance
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Working with data at the petabyte scale.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed data platforms (HBase, Spark, Hive, Kafka, Flink etc.)
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL)
- Experience with Java / Scala / Spark /Python
- Solid understanding of data processing needs of real-time and batch systems for transactional and analytical processing
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.