Software Engineer, Guest & Host
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
We are building a new set of tools to make it easier for people to connect and host on Airbnb. Our team focuses specifically on co-hosting and ways to make it easier for people to host together as a team.
As part of the team and in collaboration with engineering teams based in San Francisco, you will focus on elevating this project from regional to global. You’ll have the opportunity to work on exciting, innovative and technically challenging work, supporting a major company strategy while finding solutions in areas such as UX, performances, robustness and quality.
What kind of Software Engineer are we looking for?
On a typical week, an engineer in our team can switch from working on API infrastructure, to designing an algorithm or improving the UX. We are responsible for the whole stack, from the infrastructure and scaling challenges, to the final User Experience.
We use the latest front-end technologies (ReactJS, GraphQL). On the back-end, we design robust APIs using Java and Thrift within a microservices architecture.
The Difference You Will Make:
- Launching and expanding our co-hosting product across global markets.
- Deliver on a strategic, multi-year platform roadmap and global rollout.
- Collaborate with product, engineering, data science, data engineering, UX and numerous platform teams within Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Build services and APIs to drive existing and new features for web and mobile apps
- Work with data scientists and business analysts to define, capture, and use real-time event data for business insights and product features
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
- Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
- Opportunity to work with nearly every team in the company to surface their product functionality in our customer support tools
- 2-4 years of industry experience as Backend or Full-Stack Engineer with a BS/Masters or no years of experience with a PhD.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience with web development best practices such as A/B testing, continuous integration.
- Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to articulate trade offs.
- Passion for creating a highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce.
- Be future looking, we might be focused on immediate regulations, but need to build for the long term.
- Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself.
- Focus on building high quality products, every one of our flows affects the business bottom line.
- Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: email@example.com. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.