Functional Safety Specialist
Avidbots is hiring a Functional Safety Specialist to help lead the development of safety critical systems in our current and future robots. The Functional Safety Specialist will use their bread of safety knowledge to bring safety critical systems into compliance with industry standards and engineering best practices. The ideal candidate has gone through the complete product development life cycle of a high performance level safety (Pl-d or higher) safety rated product – all the way from prototyping to certification and final release of the product into the market.
This is a hybrid opportunity based ~3 days per week in our Kitchener HQ
- Be our go to person at Avidbots for existing and future fleet safety questions and concerns
- Meet with Avidbots’ safety officer on a regular basis to help steer the future of functional safety at Avidbots
- Consult with contractors and internal teams on the HARA and FMEA of our product
- Harness your deep understanding of IEC 61508 to help integrate safety into our growing fleet of robots and products
- Interpret and implement safety standards for the mobile robotics industry (such as ISO 13482, ISO 62061, CSA 336, IEC 60335, IEC 61508)
- Work with functional teams to design the main safety architecture of our future robots
- Work on the detailed documentation and analysis for all safety critical functions of our robot (some functions are Pl-d or SIL2)
- Coordinate safety testing, documentation and certification as needed
- Attend safety standard committee meetings to help keep our finger on the pulse of this growing industry and the standards that govern it
- Technology Degree or Diploma in Electrical, Mechanical, or Mechatronic Engineering
- 5+ years electrical hardware, mechanical or mechatronic engineering design experience
- 3+ years of Functional safety engineering experience - specifically IEC 61508, other standards welcome also
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a cross functional Engineering design
- Experience going through a full product development lifecycle for a safety rated product (Pl-d or SIL3 for certain functions)
- Solid knowledge and understanding of functional safety concepts
- Solid knowledge of electronic, mechanical, and electro-mechanical component design and their functionality
- Efficient organizational and analytical skills
- High aptitude for very detailed analytical work
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Successfully complete pre-employment onboarding requirements that may include a criminal/civil background check
At Avidbots, we believe in solving real world problems with autonomous cleaning robotic solutions to unlock humanity’s potential. Neo is our current groundbreaking autonomous floor scrubbing robot that enhances facility cleanliness around the world empowering reallocation of human capital to higher priority focuses… and we’re just getting started!
Headquartered in Kitchener, ON, Canada, we are an employee-focused organization that has been certified a Great Place to Work® consecutively for the last 4 years and one of Deloitte's Fast 500 (2021).
Now is your opportunity to join a fast-growing technology company built on teamwork, innovation, and boundless ambition!
***Applicants must be currently authorized to work in Canada for any employer
CAD: Avidbots is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse workforce. As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. We are a diverse Canadian company founded by international students, and we are proud of the strengths our diversity brings. We hold our executives to the same standards as all of our employees, and we believe work should be a safe space for all. Avidbots has an absolutely zero tolerance policy for discrimination or hate against members of any race, religion or sexual orientation. We also offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is critical to ensure the happiness/well-being of our people.
Upon request, Avidbots will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.