Director of SRE & IT
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke)
About The Role:
The Director of SRE will be responsible for the infrastructure that underpins the largest and most advanced indoor vertical farms in the world. You will lead and help grow our SRE (cloud + on-prem SREs, network engineers), Security, and IT teams. Bowery’s server and network infrastructure is critical to allowing the business to operate farms efficiently and effectively. You will be building and managing the processes and people that are responsible for our network of existing and planned farms in addition to our growing cloud footprint and help architect and build the next generation of Bowery’s software, server and network infrastructure.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the day-to-day processes of the infrastructure team with a strong focus on operational observability, resilience, redundancy, and cost reduction.
- Represent and advocate for the infrastructure team to leaders across the organization
- Help identify improvements to our software, server, and network architecture, scope out new projects, and lead the team through project completion
- Get hands-on and physically help build things the team is working on. This includes visiting our farms regularly in person
- Develops requests for proposals and reviews statements of work (SOW) for integration of new systems into existing systems with vendor support
- Developing and maintaining the IT Infrastructure and Operations policies and procedures to adapt to changes in infrastructure, cloud initiatives, legislature and industry standards
- Provide guidance on, and iterate towards, a best-in-class, network-wide, multi-tiered support system to respond to priority-based requests
Who You Are
- Tenured background in hands-on software engineering, SRE, and/or SysAdmin work
- Track record of hands-on Support team experience, working with small and large teams
- Background working with/in data center support teams
- Track record of building and managing high-performance SRE/IT teams. Including setting SRE goals, processes, and culture
- Experience with distributed systems in a production operations environment
- Deep experience with programming languages (Python, Erlang/Elixir, GoLang, etc)
- Experience building and managing mission-critical systems on top of modern cloud services
- Experience in leading through metrics; SLAs and KPI; ability to present insightful KPIs, metrics and trends to senior leadership.
- Experience and understanding supporting multiple data center locations and the ability to travel to those locations.
- Deep systems and infrastructure knowledge
Who We Are
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Benefits as Good as Our Greens
- To support you and your family, we offer health, dental, and vision insurance; mental health resources; family forming support; long-term and short-term disability insurance; FSA; HSA and commuter benefits
- Company stock options so that you can reap the benefits of every Bowery win
- 401k Program
- The more balance, the better. We offer unlimited paid vacation, paid holiday - plus 16 weeks of paid parental leave so you can focus on what matters most
- From internal mobility to a mentorship program and curated L&D initiatives, we are fully invested in your growth
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be $215,000. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make a leveling assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate that with you.
Bowery is an equal opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.