Quality & Consumer Safety Technician
Kearny, NJ, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke)
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking a Quality & Consumer Safety Technician who will carry out auditing, testing, calibration, data gathering, investigating duties. You will report to the Farm Quality Manager and be assigned to a shift to work alongside our Modern Farmers.
What You'll Do:
- Perform inbound raw materials inspections to ensure downstream quality
- Perform GMP inspections to ensure farm hygiene practices are maintained
- Conduct pre-operational, inter-operational, and post-operational inspections and audits to maintain process integrity
- Monitor farm assets, and perform calibrations as needed, to verify they are performing as required
- Perform finished product audits
- Represent and communicate all quality standards on the production floor
- Maintain facility sanitation standards to ensure effective cleaning processes
- Monitor the concentration of cleaning chemicals to ensure effective cleaning processes
- Conduct weekly and monthly environmental sampling for laboratory analysis
- Aid in inspecting returned product for quality and temperature specification deviation
- Help to trend, interpret, and visualize data through the use of spreadsheets and business intelligence software
- Help to design and execute experiments, throughout the process areas, to provide data and insights for continuous improvement projects as needed
- Aid in tracking, reviewing, and analyzing data associated with marketplace quality issues as needed
- Aid in building CAPA reports when necessary
- Participate in training initiatives to educate our staff on food safety best practices
- Help to identify and remediate gaps in the Quality Management System
- Collaborate with the Agricultural Science and Agricultural Operations team to operationalize new products
- Able to conduct duties, 30% of the time, at a second location nearby
- Provide other interdepartmental support as needed, and other duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
- You have some understanding of food safety standards
- You have knowledge of cleaning and sanitation standards
- PC or Mac familiar, with the ability to use a tablet or smartphone
- You have strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- You demonstrate strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; and are able to communicate with and influence and engage peers effectively
- You are a self-starter and able to work independently, with and without an itemized task list
- You are able to work flexible shifts as needed
- You are able to work in a cold room (sub 40 degrees) for short and extended periods of time (protective equipment provided)
- You are able to work at heights (infrastructure and protective equipment provided)
- You are able to lift and move objects up to 49 pounds
- You have the ability to bend, lift, stretch, and reach both below the waist and above the head
Benefits As Good As Our Greens:
- Free benefits from Day 1 for employees (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- Heavily subsidized benefits for your family from Day 1
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents (full-time employees)
- Competitive vacation and sick time off
- 401K & company stock options
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Free Mental Health Resources and Wellness Benefits including Spring Health (personalized quality therapy and psychiatry for mental health needs), Headspace (unlimited access to guided meditation sessions, and Carrot (family forming support)
- Uniforms and PPE provided by Bowery
- Free leafy greens & more…
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be $21.25/hour. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make a leveling assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate that with you.
Bowery is an equal-opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally-grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.
See more open positions at Bowery Farming
Something looks off?