Senior Data Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who You Are
Brightwheel is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join the Data Engineering team.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Brightwheel, you will play a key role in the implementation and evolution of our data platform. You will partner with technical leadership to craft and implement our data strategy. You will build and scale data pipelines that transform billions of records, across numerous systems, into measurable data that enable insights for our Analytics team.
You are passionate about data engineering and possess deep technical skills. You have contributed to building data platforms from the ground up. You have experience juggling multiple projects with shifting priorities while continuing to deliver value to the business. You are a curious, detail oriented, self-starter who wants to take full ownership of high impact projects with visibility throughout the organization.
What You’ll Do
- Use modern tooling to build robust, extensible, and performant data models in a cloud-based data warehouse that will drive business intelligence for the company
- Build extensible data acquisition and integration solutions to meet business requirements and reporting needs.
- Troubleshoot, improve and scale existing data pipelines, models and solutions
- Build upon data engineering's CI/CD deployments, and infrastructure-as-code for provisioning AWS services
Required Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- 3+ years of work experience as a data engineer, coding in Python.
- 1+ years experience deploying data processing infrastructure into AWS / cloud environments.
- Advanced understanding of how at least one big data processing technology works under the hood (e.g. Spark / Hadoop / HDFS / Redshift / BigQuery / Snowflake / Parquet / Avro / Kinesis / Kafka)
- Experience with building ETL pipelines within Airflow / Python.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to manage complex process and technology issues without much guidance
- 2+ years experience building data models with dbt in a cloud based data warehouse platform
- Experience with deploying Infrastructure as Code within a cloud environment.
- Building data ingestion from large scale transactional data stores
- Hubspot / Salesforce / Mixpanel (Clickstream data analytics)
- Serverless / event driven architecture (Glue / Lambda)
- Parquet / Avro file storage
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.