Staff Software Engineer - Enterprise Applications
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Agent Productivity Tools team is a vital part of Coinbase’s Enterprise Applications and Architecture org, responsible for building the customer experience platform that streamlines the customer service process with innovative services, tools and applications that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of agents. This helps resolving customer issues faster and with greater accuracy and ultimately, this leads to higher customer satisfaction levels and a better overall experience for our customers.
We would like to add a Senior Staff Software Engineer to help build a best in class customer experience at Coinbase and support Coinbase’s goals of improving security, compliance, and cost. You will be joining an agile and tight-knit team that is focused on delivering value. We are seeking individuals who thrive in a continuous learning and high level of ownership environment and who are committed to having fun.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- Drive overall platform architecture and influence product and platform roadmap for initiatives at the Org level and Company level while leading multiple or individual teams
- Collaborate with product and customer experience teams with demos and feedback to help build the next generation customer experience for Coinbase customers
- Deliver cross-functional outcomes to complex problems in collaboration with product, design, security, data or other engineering teams
- Demonstrate a keen awareness of Coinbase’s unique assets, and build upon them to efficiently deliver improvements across multiple teams.
- Create an environment where innovative ideas are regularly generated, vetted, and transformed into action.
- Foresee potential issues before they arise and adapt their own approach, working within constraints to avoid adverse impact.
- Communicate across the company to technical and non-technical leaders with ease.
- Quickly distill complex technical themes so that an entry level, non-tech team member can understand them.
- Iteratively refine the platform architecture and work with other platform teams and the wider engineering org in enabling key backend services
- Support and mentor junior team members in design techniques and best practices in coding, testing, release/deploy process, documentation, metrics/logging and scaling
- Working with teams across time zones
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- You enjoy and have experience with large-scale, high-traffic platforms and implementing scalable, robust services in the real world
- You have experience in authoring and contributing to technical architecture and implementing them.
- Create and maintain foundational infrastructure libraries utilized by every engineering team in production (e.g., Coinbase Server Framework (CSF), rate limiters, memcached / MongoDB clients, circuit breakers, observability integration, etc.)
- Experience in AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, CircleCI, BuildKite or similar
- Experience in any two of SQL/NoSQL DBs, gRPC, GraphQL, Kafka, MQ
- Proficiency in Ruby or Go
Nice to haves:
- Customer support SaaS platform experience
- Applications using OpenAI/ChatGPT
Position ID: P1370179
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.