At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
As a Security Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering, designing, implementing and maintaining secure systems, infrastructure and processes for key management at Coinbase. You will be delivering trustworthy systems & ensure their integration into information systems through purposeful secure design and configuration.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Design, develop and integrate secure hardware & software solutions to generate digital material
- Develop & review product level requirements, technical designs with cross functional security & engineering teams
- Define & contribute to security requirements for hardware and software design
- Develop and enforce security policies and procedures to ensure compliance and any regulatory requirements are met
- Drive and perform hands-on operations within a highly secure environment to generate & manage digital material
- Develop & validate runbooks, support security audits & risk assessments.
- Analyze, debug & troubleshoot procedures, infrastructure - network, compute, software, hardware to ensure smooth execution of digital material generation and management
- Use critical thinking & analytical skills to develop and update processes in order to increase efficiency, reduce risks & improve reliability
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) scenarios to validate operability of physical and digital material
- Provide first line support through an on-call rotation to support business processes
- Work closely with Security & Engineering across Coinbase to create strategies for improving security posture
- Advocate for security & best practices throughout the organization
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Ability to define secure system level architectures including HW/SW interfaces
- Demonstrated capability in developing procedures and security best practices by identifying patterns and data to reduce failure rates & risks
- Ability to define & assess risks effectively
- Strong problem solving skills & analytical mindset
- You are eager to learn new tools, explore ways to solve problems, and to make processes more efficient and secure
- You can prioritize and organize around several open issues at one time
- Demonstrated experience in building or supporting software tools and automation
- Familiarity with any programming languages like Python, GoLang, BASH. Strong understanding of at least one programming language
- Familiarity with building snowflake queries
- Experience using Github or similar source control & configuration management systems
- Understanding of linux operating systems and internals
Nice to haves:
- You exhibit our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- Knowledge of cryptography fundamentals and public Key Infrastructure
- Understanding of TCP/IP, UDP or similar networking protocols. Experience with network design of complex distributed systems
- Understanding or expertise in hardware security primitives
- Experience building or maintaining hardware systems such as in a datacenter, chip manufacturing
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry
- Familiarity with cross domain based security systems / solutions
- Experience in security compliance & auditable procedures
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.