Head of SEC Reporting
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Accounting, this role will lead the Company’s Financial Reporting function and be an integral component of Finance’s risk management and reporting process, driving consistent application of accounting policy and financial reporting across the company. The successful candidate will combine a strong technical skill set with exceptional organizational skills in order to successfully lead quarterly and annual reporting cycles. Further, the candidate will have a positive attitude with a proven ability to thrive successfully in a fast paced multi-task oriented environment. This is a critical and high-profile position that will play a crucial role in financial reporting and other statutory and regulatory filings.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Lead the preparation of all statutory quarterly and annual financial statements under U.S. GAAP, SEC regulations and international accounting standards, including drafting and review of disclosures and qualitative performance discussions
- Assist in coordinating the approval of quarterly and annual financial reports with all relevant parties, including the audit committee, external auditors, and internal and external legal counsel
- Coordinate audit support & review filings with external auditors, and senior members of the finance team
- Lead preparation of the Statement of Cash Flows
- Support Investor Relations with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors
- Prepare the quarterly Audit Committee decks
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly consolidated reporting of the Company’s financial statements and statement of equity
- Maintain reporting calendar to inform parties of necessary deadline adherence for financial reports
- Coordinate with accounting policy on new accounting standards issued by the FASB to determine the impact to the company and implement new accounting standards, as required
- Support business development and M&A integration teams during financial due diligence over target companies and subsequent integration of acquired businesses
- Support management in completing special projects as assigned and be a financial reporting resource for ad-hoc questions and initiatives
- Responsible for the coaching, mentoring and management of reporting team
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of process improvements as appropriate, to simplify, standardize and streamline processes.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- Strong accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SOX 404 and SEC financial reporting standards
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience. Current or recent public company financial reporting experience is a plus
- Combination of private and public accounting experience preferred
- CPA or similar designation required
- Strong understanding of FASB and US GAAP rules and regulations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization, project management, analytical, and communication skills
- High level of enthusiasm and curiosity to grow your career in a dynamic and growing company
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization
- Meticulous and impeccable attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, coordinate the efforts of others and work well with people at a wide range of levels;
- Internal control experience
Nice to haves
- Financial Institutions / Fintech background
- Familiarity and experience with reporting tools, and financial systems such as Netsuite and Workiva (W-Desk)
Job #: P52562
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.