At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
We’re looking for a communications manager to join the Coinbase communications team. The person in this role will work on both proactive and reactive communications strategy, across owned and earned channels. They will drive communications planning and execution for corporate launches and announcements, as well as manage response communications for crisis and issues management. As a communications team member, you will design and execute media relations initiatives, support executive communications, and work cross-functionally across a team of internal stakeholders. PR + crypto equals a fast-paced work environment, and the successful candidate must demonstrate grace under fire, with an ability to deliver quality communications quickly under pressure.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Communicate with all levels of the financial community.
- Develop and continually update an in-depth, comprehensive, personal understanding of the Company’s operations, technology, financial performance, and business strategy.
- Developing financial stakeholder messages for investor-related communications, including but not limited to earnings scripts and internal communications, investor relations press releases, road shows and conference presentations, and the investor relations website.
- Create engaging pitches for financial media outlets and secure positive media placements.
- Expert writing/storytelling, executive presence and acumen, and ability to swiftly capture the voice of our key leaders.
- Provide stakeholders with the appropriate background to help put corporate news into context.
- Cultivate strong relationships with top-tier national and niche financial media.
- Draft communications materials, including messaging, press releases, pitches, backgrounders, contributed articles, op-eds, blog posts and social posts.
- Stay apprised of market opinions, attitudes, and reactions to company issues, monitoring daily financial news and managing ongoing reporting and analysis for use by senior management in preparation for meetings with investors, analysts, shareholder, media, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the investor relations and across departments to develop and ensure activities are aligned with the organization's strategic focus and business priorities
- Leverage existing financial media relationships and cultivate new contacts across a variety of sectors in top-tier national, niche, and local media.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 5+ years of relevant financial or corporate communications experience at either a PR agency or an in-house communications team.
- Experience doing financial communications for a public company.
- A demonstrated ability to understand complex subject matter, along with the skills needed to simplify and explain these topics.
- Stellar writing and storytelling skills: prose that’s clear and concise, with an eye toward eliminating jargon.
- Strong executive presence, including experience working directly with executives and supporting executive communications programs.
- Experience working on cross-functional initiatives involving multiple stakeholders across an organization.
- Hands-on: strong attention to detail and a commitment to own your work end-to-end.
- Solution-oriented: an ability to bring creative solutions to every problem, and to never see a challenge as insurmountable.
- Media savvy: an understanding of what stories will, and will not, resonate with the media.
- Collaborative: Our comms team is small and nimble and, while we have dedicated coverage areas, we all jump in and work together to support each other when company priorities require all hands on deck.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in crypto, financial technology, or traditional financial services.
- Solid working relationships with technology and business press.
- An understanding of the regulatory, security and technical landscapes influencing the state of cryptocurrency today (and tomorrow).
- An interest in crypto and the economic freedom it can offer. Our mission is to create an open financial system for the world - and we want you to help!
Position ID: P53753
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.