Senior Software Engineer, DevOps
Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
We are rapidly expanding our infrastructure engineering teams and are looking for hungry, curious, fast-learning engineers from 6 years of experience all the way to senior leadership across our Infrastructure teams.
What You’ll Do
Below are just some of the challenges and problems we are trying to solve here at Gro. If you can help us with one or more we would love to speak with you - particularly if you’re eager to see your work have a bigger impact on the world
- Build, design, scale, and monitor developer tools and cloud infrastructure to support CI/CD workflows
- Improve application deployment using containerization tools (e.g. Docker and Kubernetes)
- Automate configuration and deployment process using Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform) and Python or Bash
- Partner with our data ingestion team to help them evolve the next version of our data acquisition platform
- Partner with our API and visualization teams to help them evolve the next version of our data serving platform
- Partner with our data science teams to help them securely and easily access our data streams, capture their science and provide pathways for them to deploy their science within our products
- Work within the DevOps team to provide easy to use developer experience tooling and processes facilitating engineers across all teams to build well-tested and well-architected components into our architecture
- Work with the platform teams to capture and facilitate their engineering work as they evolve the next generation of our internal serving platform
Who You Are
- Someone who is passionate about helping other engineers get things done efficiently
- Adept at, and motivated by, the concept of trying to automate yourself out of a job
- Internal customer focused team player; someone with a point of view who knows how to humbly express it and teach others to succeed technically
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use (and when) to solve a particular problem
What we’re looking for
- Experience with enterprise cloud infrastructure and services (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Proficiency in Terraform, Pulumi or any Infrastructure as Code platform
- Experience with Git, Github or other CICD tooling
- Python proficiency
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years of relevant industry experience
Nice to have
- Familiarity with Postgres, Docker, Kubernetes or container orchestration in general, Rust, Airflow, DataBricks, Flyway, Flux, Kompose
- Proficiency with a systems programming language (e.g. C/C++, Rust, Go, etc.)
- Strong Desire to ensure the Director never introduces Perl into production
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction
The salary range for this role is expected to be $160,000 - $210,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
We are focused on hiring a small army of systems engineering folks with a variety of backgrounds and skills to tackle our infrastructure challenges. We need both generalists and specialists - so if you’re reading this and think you can make an impact as an engineer specializing in any of the areas mentioned, or even hinted at, above then please apply and let us know!
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Something looks off?