Data Scientist, Modeling
Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
Data Scientists at Gro take cutting edge approaches to the fundamental questions that Gro is trying to solve. You'll work with data scientists, engineers and other teams across the organization, applying machine learning and AI solutions to global agriculture, climate and food security problems.
You'll join our Modeling team which focuses on answering challenging agricultural questions by building production quality machine learning models. You will have the opportunity to solve critical problems using software engineering, data science, and machine learning, and impact high-stake decisions globally.
What You'll Do
- Develop original spatial-temporal models to predict agricultural and environmental performance and conditions using agricultural, weather and climate data.
- Develop systems and techniques for very large scale computations.
- Work with scientists, analysts and engineers to integrate local and sector specific factors and work closely with specialists in the field to further internal product development and external collaborations.
- Do original research on machine learning models and algorithms.
- Understand and contribute to the advancement of the state of the art in academic and industry research.
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience creating real world machine learning systems like model training, validation, feature engineering, hyperparameter tuning etc.
- Ability to work with Python (including packages such as pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, etc.), Shell, Git, Docker.
- Expertise with large-scale geospatial and temporal data sets and the application of scalable machine learning on the subject.
- Familiarity with cloud computing tools such as AWS, Azure, GCP.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members across functional roles and strong communication and leadership skills.
- Passion for solving high impact problems with data driven tools.
- Interested in new skills and adapting to new technologies.
- Ability to work with geographically distributed and culturally diverse team.
- Ability to generalize and abstract.
Nice to Have
- Expertise with software development and production level AI solutions and industry standards.
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipeline and tools.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to understand the big picture.
The salary range for this role is expected to be $140,000 - $165,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Something looks off?