Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
Gro is hiring an Economist to join its team of technology, climate, and agriculture experts. The successful candidate will be responsible for researching, understanding and synthesizing the impact of the wider economic environment, including economic policy, on Gro’s agricultural and climate insights, and will advise our CEO directly on the same.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with agricultural market analysts and climate scientists to help us understand and model the impact of economic, fiscal, and financial policies; new technology; and likely near-future economic and climate scenarios on agricultural markets and financial and real asset risk modeling
- Analyze a wide range of financial and economic information to advise Gro on what type of products and indices will be most relevant to specific customers
- Working closely with product-design, engineering and data science teams in the design and implementation of new analytical tools as well as solving technical obstacles related to economic data sources
- Collaborating with the business development team on client specific projects
- Provide actionable, timely advice to the CEO on all manner of economic issues as per the above. The analysis of geopolitics, global financial markets, and international trade will all play a large part in formulating a view
- Writing analytical insights at the intersection of climate, agriculture and economics including on topics related to climate change risk, impact, and opportunity
- Traveling for client visits, conferences, meetings
- Working on special projects and initiatives
What We're Looking For:
- 8+ years of experience as an Economist, performing and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative analyses
- PhD in Economics or a closely related field
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation abilities
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Hands-on experience with modern statistical and data science tools and a passion for working with them to derive new insights
- Comfort with working with large volumes of data
- Ability to work independently against tight deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members across functional roles and strong communication skills
Nice to have
- Domain knowledge and/or experience in any climate domain, but especially physical risk
- Domain knowledge and/or experience in agricultural markets, subsidies, and trade
The salary range for this role is expected to be $175,000 - $220,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Something looks off?