Staff Frontend Engineer
Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
The Gro Application team is responsible for building our client-facing products, designing and owning the tools, services and interfaces that power internal and external applications. We work closely with the Product and Design teams, continuously delivering new features and tools that help our clients better consume data, gain knowledge and generate value from our data.
What You'll Do
- Lead the end-to-end development of our client-facing products (e.g webapps, tools, integrations), building scalable UIs and services that connect data and user interfaces.
- Explore new methods and technologies to improve user experience and system performance (we’re data-heavy).
- Collaborate cross-functionally to deliver on the broader product vision.
Who You Are
- Someone who enjoys continuously shipping and delivering product features to our customers.
- Knowledgeable and effective at delivering high quality code with an eye for user experience and good design.
- An avid enhancer of a productive and collaborative team, who is able to communicate technical concepts clearly and efficiently.
- A great team player: someone with a point of view, who knows how to humbly express it.
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use to solve a particular problem.
What We're Looking For
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience in frontend development.
- Significant experience in designing and developing Web/UI toolkits/large-scale web applications.
- Deep understanding of modern web development concepts and software development best practices; experience in architecting and designing web applications.
- Familiarity with design systems and building UI components at scale.
- Proficient in one or more modern front-end frameworks (we use React + Typescript).
- Technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction.
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong fundamentals in computer science (e.g algorithms, data structures).
Nice to Have
- Experience with API design and end-to-end service implementation, comfortable with SQL database.
- Experience with other server-side languages (e.g python, rust)
- Data visualization and relevant tools (e.g D3, Highcharts, Mapbox).
- Cloud services (we use AWS).
- Third-party tool integration (e.g Tableau, Excel add-on, PowerBI).
The salary range for this role is expected to be $175,000 - $225,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, 20 days of PTO, 2 floating holidays, as well as health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro is hybrid: employees work three days in-office and choose the days which work best for them.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.