Staff Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
Consul solves the challenges that organizations of all sizes face when managing, securing, and observing HashiCorp Consul communication across microservices. We provide zero trust solutions for service discovery, service mesh, and network infrastructure automation. Consul is used at scale by a large community of open source practitioners, as well as at companies like Pandora, Roblox, Mercedes Benz, Datadog, Github and PagerDuty.
You can learn more about Consul in this whiteboard overview from our CTO and co-founder, Armon Dadger.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Staff Software Engineer to join our fast growing team in India. In this role you will provide technical leadership and strategic direction for all quality and testing efforts impacting our networking products (Consul and HCP Consul). You will be driving the development of end-to-end integration tests, automation frameworks, and tools to have robust automated testing pipelines.
This is a hands-on role in which you will design and code comprehensive testing frameworks while taking on a technical leadership role, and bringing standardization to our processes and practices.
You will collaborate with a highly skilled and experienced set of engineering, product, field and marketing teams to ensure that we are shipping the highest quality product possible every release. This is an awesome opportunity to work with cutting edge cloud technology and experience the challenges that come with testing a complex networking product that is built on distributed systems primitives at scale.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Lead the design and enhancement of Go/Terraform based automation frameworks, building advanced tools and utilities to increase overall testing effectiveness and manage test data.
- Design and oversee the execution of detailed test plans, test designs, and test cases, ensuring comprehensive coverage across feature, integration, regression, and system-level testing.
- Drive collaboration with engineering teams to integrate testing frameworks into the build process, optimizing for effectiveness and efficiency.
- Design and manage systems for performance testing Consul at large scale and in complex deployment topologies, addressing unique challenges with innovative solutions.
- Foster a testing culture across the organization, guiding Software Engineers in identifying and leveraging testing opportunities throughout the design and development process.
- Define and monitor quality metrics and risk assessment for releases, making strategic recommendations to ensure the highest level of product quality.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- 10+ years in Quality Engineering, with expertise in test automation frameworks.
- Deep understanding of integration and performance testing.
- Extensive experience with CI/CD pipelines and automated testing integration.
- Solid familiarity with infrastructure management tools (hands-on experience with Vault, Consul, or Nomad is highly beneficial).
- Advanced knowledge of networking and distributed systems.
- A passion for automation, testing, and documentation, with proven application in large-scale projects.
- The ability and ambition to lead your own career progression.
- Program mostly in Go, learning from and contributing to a team committed to continually improving their skills.
- Contribute to technical leadership and strategic direction to continuously improve the Quality Engineering Organization
- Mentor other quality engineers, fostering a culture of high-quality work and continuous learning.
- Partner with customer facing groups such as PMs, UX, SEs to better understand how customers interface and use our product to drive quality early and often
- Design, build, and maintain reliable automation that provisions infrastructure at scale and proactively detects regressions, bugs, and other problems.
- Develop and overseeing long-term quality strategies as well as shape quality standards, guidelines, and processes at Org level
- Prioritize and execute test cases in cloud based automated environments that are representative of customers’ networking topologies and workloads
- Collaborate with engineering and support teams to reproduce problem scenarios reported by customers.
- Measure and quantify quality improvements in the delivered software. #LI-Hybrid Bangalore #LI-SG1
Colorado, California, Washington and New York City Applicants: To view base salary ranges for this role in your location and to learn more about which roles are eligible for bonus pay or commissions, please visit our Pay Transparency Calculator below. Individual pay within the range will be determined based on job related-factors such as skills, experience, and education or training. Information on our benefits can be found via the link below. Intern ranges can be found below.