Web Engineer II
About the role and Web Presence team…
The Web Presence team is a hybrid group of designers and engineers who are responsible for delivering high-quality web experiences that support HashiCorp’s go-to-market efforts. This includes a variety of websites like hashicorp.com, developer.hashicorp.com and more. For many of HashiCorp’s customers and users, the Web Presence team delivers their first experience with the company and so it’s crucial we set high standards.
Along with the rest of HashiCorp, we know we can't succeed without each team member being successful - a great team culture is something that is constructed by actual experiences, not through words alone. HashiCorp's Principles are referenced in our day-to-day work and aren't just "words on the wall".
Our team believes that “working in the open” makes us all better. This means that we often write down and collaborate on ideas before we start writing code. We embrace proofs of concept that communicate the core of an idea and often start the “imperfect” version of something first to collect feedback. Iteration and progressive improvement makes our work adaptable, modular, and ultimately better.
Given the breadth of web properties our team manages, there’s a wide range of work on this team. Our projects range from frontend-heavy marketing initiatives with interactive graphics and complex animations, to implementing and evolving HashiCorp’s design system, to backend systems architecture, to fullstack feature development that directly impacts HashiCorp users.
We encourage individual autonomy and keep processes minimal. We value flexibility, prioritize asynchronous communication, and adjust workflows as needed depending on the needs of the project or team. We have unique challenges across the stack to work on and you’ll get a say in what is compelling for your interests and growth.
About the project
We are looking for an engineer to join the team behind HashiCorp Developer. This platform serves HashiCorp’s practitioner community, enabling them to solve real world problems and elevate their careers by growing new skill sets and certifying their proficiency. We think of our documentation and learning experiences as extensions of the HashiCorp products themselves, developer tools are only as great as their documentation allows. The success of this platform drives product adoption throughout the entire HashiCorp portfolio. The engineering team has a critical role in actualizing this success, solving varied problems across the stack in close collaboration with design, education, and product teams.
In this role you can expect to…
- Contribute maintainable, well-tested, accessible and well-documented code to the repositories and systems that power HashiCorp Developer.
- Work closely with a wide variety of internal collaborators - designers, product managers, education engineers, product engineers and leadership.
- Review and refactor code.
- Collaboratively identify user (both internal and external) problems and advocate for pragmatic, iterative solutions through prototypes and written proposals.
- Improve the way that users consume our product documentation with new features, accessibility improvements, performance gains, and refactors.
- Work with product and education engineers to improve their authoring experience of education content. Troubleshoot and support their publishing processes when necessary.
- Collaborate in product discovery and early design to assess technical feasibility.
- In close step with designers, execute front-end projects with meticulous polish.
- Contribute to our backend systems and platform tooling in support of project initiatives.
- Communicate technical opinions and project rationale to other engineers and leadership.
- During execution, work ‘in the open’, sharing your thoughts, ideas, blockers, and code freely with others on the team.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have…
- 4+ years of full stack development experience, with an emphasis on the front-end.
- Experience with React and React frameworks like Next.js.
- Experience with TypeScript & Node.js.
- Knowledge and familiarity with modern digital design and prototyping tools (like Figma).
- Experience and comfort with Git and version control.
- Understanding of and experience with unit, integration and end-to-end testing.
- Experience working with REST APIs.
- Experience building custom GitHub Actions and orchestrating dependent workflows.
- Familiarity with Docker.
- An understanding of database design — both relational and NoSQL data modeling.
- Proven experience working iteratively and collaboratively with other teams to craft engineering solutions that solve user and business problems.
- Demonstrated experience building high quality web experiences from inception to completion that are accessible, performant, responsive and scalable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Curious, creative and collaborative. You approach problems incrementally, taking a pragmatic approach without premature optimization or abstraction.
- Someone who likes communicating your ideas, planning to tackle something in prose, and workshopping it with teammates before you start writing code.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and approach problems with a learning mindset.
- Unafraid to ask for help when you’re stuck and externalize your thinking.
- Open-minded, you enjoy collaborating across teams (engineering, design, product, marketing and more) and differing levels of experience, from junior engineers to VPs.
- Willing to form well-considered, strong opinions, share those opinions, listen to others' opinions, and be open to changing your mind sometimes.
- A person who desires direct, clear, and kind feedback, and is willing to give the same to others, even when it's hard to do.
- A person who values the flexibility that comes with a remote team, while recognizing the extra effort that everyone has to put into communication and relationship-building.
We're not dogmatic about the tools we use and are constantly learning as a team. We believe strongly in learning, so deep prior experience with our tools of choice isn't strictly necessary, but you should be sure that you are open to learning them.
- You will be part of a well-supported, skilled team where your long-term personal and professional growth are prioritized.
- A fully remote culture. HashiCorp has been a distributed company since the beginning. Read more about How HashiCorp Works.
- A trust-based work environment where expectations are set clearly, and you're given the space to fulfill them. And you get clear, direct and transparent feedback on how you're doing, with support to grow and develop.
- A wide variety of types of work to explore, and the space and support to try out taking on new responsibilities. Our team has a clear career rubric for both IC and management tracks.
- Opportunities to write about your work, open source projects, and participate in dev advocacy across the industry.
- Competitive salary, generous equity grants, excellent benefits and a generous time off policy.
Colorado, California, Washington and New York City Applicants: To view base salary ranges for this role in your location and to learn more about which roles are eligible for bonus pay or commissions, please visit our Pay Transparency Calculator below. Individual pay within the range will be determined based on job related-factors such as skills, experience, and education or training. Information on our benefits can be found via the link below. Intern ranges can be found below.