Sr. Engineer II - Backend - Terraform Enterprise
About The Team
Terraform Cloud provides complex infrastructure lifecycle management to organizations with a single workflow to provision their cloud, private datacenter, and SaaS infrastructure. The Terraform Enterprise team’s mandate is to deliver the Terraform Cloud SaaS offering to the customer’s on-prem environments, with seamless user experience in installation, administration, operation and maintenance. As a result, this team is responsible for a wide range of responsibilities to service the diverse customer base. These include but are not limited to software development, infrastructure and site reliability engineering, release management, and more. We leverage major cloud providers: AWS, Azure, GCP, and invest heavily in deployment options in Docker and Kubernetes. The current stacks are Go, Terraform, Ruby on Rails, GitHub Action and more. There is no front end development. The team’s key technical competencies are broad, but can be summarized to the following:
- Software engineering: requirements gathering, prototyping, implementation, validation, build and deployment, production monitoring.
- Infrastructure: system and security engineering: scaling, disaster recovery planning, error handling.
- Solution discovery: ability to identify options to both technical and business challenges, and the willingness to experiment and validate.
Terraform Enterprise occupies a strategic position in HashiCorp and experiences vastly different opportunities at a fast pace. We do not expect everyone to have industry experience in all things we do today. However, we do expect the candidate to have deep understanding in the software development cycle, concise communication, proven record in cross functional collaboration, and willingness to pivot and pick up new skills quickly. This is a unique opportunity for those who excel at both system change and point solution, and enjoy acquiring broad experience. We follow the agile methodologies of two week sprints, refinement, scrum, and retrospectives. Terraform Enterprise team is spread across 9 time zones in 4 countries. We are 100% remote.
About this role
The Terraform Enterprise product continues to evolve to meet the needs of our customers. We are looking for a senior engineer who is experienced in software application development and familiar with cloud technologies and deployment options.
In this role, you can expect to:
First three months:
- Gain proficiency in the Terraform Enterprise application and are able to replicate customer’s user experience in installation, configuration, execution and monitoring.
- Collaborate on a cross-functional team including Engineering, Product, and Design to deliver excellent customer experiences.
- Own medium to large customer facing projects, judiciously evaluate trade offs and remove project blockers.
- Actively participate in code reviews and mentor junior developers, fostering a collaborative and knowledge-sharing environment within the team.
First three to six months:
- Participate in our on-call rotation to resolve escalated critical product issues for customers.
- Participate in cross-team working groups while developing your knowledge as subject matter expert.
- Design, build, iterate on, and ship the Terraform modules, machine images, system configuration, and software that delivers Terraform Enterprise in customer environments.
- Maintain a reliable production application for our customers while working alongside infrastructure engineering.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to determine and prioritize new features and enhancements. You understand and can foresee how decisions may impact the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of our own team and closely related teams.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have …
- A Bachelor or higher degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field.
- 7+ years working experience in application software development.
- Software Engineering background with proficiency in application development, systems/infrastructure engineering concepts such as infrastructure as code, software defined networking, monitoring, virtualization, and the tools used to operate and maintain related systems.
- Deployment experience for highly compliant industries, such as US Federal environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven record of delivering with ambiguous product requirements and scope by refinement and system analysis. You are able to identify pragmatic and ideal solutions by accounting for tradeoffs and costs.
- Experience working on an Enterprise product and participating in on-call support for production incidents.
Canada, Colorado, California, Washington and New York Applicants: To view base salary ranges for this role in your location and to learn more about which roles are eligible for bonus pay or commissions, please visit our Pay Transparency Calculator below. Individual pay within the range will be determined based on job related-factors such as skills, experience, and education or training. Information on our benefits can be found via the link below. Intern ranges can be found below.