Manager, Engineering - Terraform Developer Experience
HashiCorp is a company that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc.
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is almost entirely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
We build Consul, Nomad, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, and Packer. Alongside that, we deploy enterprise products for each in a variety of different ways: licensed and unlicensed binaries, appliances to public cloud platforms, and hosted SaaS platforms. Our products help organizations of all sizes run any infrastructure for any application.
This is an engineering management role focused on our Terraform product line, managing a Terraform Ecosystem engineering team and participating in overall product delivery. You will work closely with the team of developers who maintain Terraform core to ship highly impactful improvements to the entire ecosystem. Strong collaboration skills and technical background are critical to success in this role.
Terraform Providers are plugins that provide the interface and interactions between Terraform and the APIs that interact with infrastructure. Terraform Providers are an integral part of using the product. The Ecosystem group is responsible for maintaining and growing the number of providers available to our users as well as making sure the development and onboarding experience is phenomenal. Within the ecosystem group, the developer experience team focuses on building tools and workflows to help others develop high quality providers.
HashiCorp views management and technical leadership as two tracks, with a highly technical background being a requirement for both. This role is uniquely technical given the deeply infrastructure-related nature of the product. Given this unique situation, it is expected that applicants would be comfortable playing a mix of roles. In order of priority, this would include management and coaching, assisting with product management, and technical guidance.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with product management to drive the development of the Terraform developer experience and new strategic providers to grow the ecosystem.
- Work closely with the team of developers who maintain Terraform core to ship highly impactful improvements to the entire ecosystem.
- Lean on your technical background to guide design and architecture conversations between engineers to a clear outcome. Design decisions made by this team tend to have a lasting impact on the ecosystem.
- Support the career growth of talented engineers on a team building and delivering Terraform Provider development tooling to a fast-growing customer base.
- Interact with and cultivate our community around each provider project.
- Contribute to our growing engineering management team and culture.
- Ensure the on-time release of well-tested and reliable software.
You will be successful in this role if you have:
- Experience in any of: building and maintaining a Terraform provider, contributing to Terraform core, designing SDKs , or testing and documentation automation
- Two years or more of experience directly managing software engineers
- Phenomenal communication skills for working across the organization, capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- Experience managing a remote distributed team
- East Coast or Central time zone highly preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Canada, Colorado, California, Washington and New York Applicants: To view base salary ranges for this role in your location and to learn more about which roles are eligible for bonus pay or commissions, please visit our Pay Transparency Calculator below. Individual pay within the range will be determined based on job related-factors such as skills, experience, and education or training. Information on our benefits can be found via the link below. Intern ranges can be found below.