Engineer II, Terraform Enterprise
Location: 100% remote
About the Role
Terraform Cloud provides complex infrastructure lifecycle management to organizations with a single workflow to provision their cloud, private datacenter, and SaaS infrastructure. The Terraform Enterprise team’s mandate is to deliver the Terraform Cloud SaaS offering to the customer’s on-prem environments, with seamless user experience in installation, administration, operation and maintenance. As a result, this team is responsible for a wide range of responsibilities to service the diverse customer base. These include but are not limited to software development, infrastructure and site reliability engineering, release management, and more. We leverage major cloud providers: AWS, Azure, GCP, and invest heavily in deployment options in Docker and Kubernetes. The current stacks are Go, Terraform, Ruby on Rails, GitHub Actions and more. There is no front end development. The team’s key technical competencies are broad, but can be summarized to the following:
- Software engineering: requirements gathering, prototyping, implementation, validation, build and deployment, production monitoring.
- Infrastructure: system and security engineering: scaling, disaster recovery planning, error handling.
- Solution discovery: ability to identify options to both technical and business challenges, and the willingness to experiment and validate.
Terraform Enterprise occupies a strategic position in HashiCorp and experiences vastly different opportunities at a fast pace. We do not expect everyone to have industry experience in all things we do today. However, we do expect the candidate to have deep understanding in the software development cycle, concise communication, proven record in cross functional collaboration, and willingness to pivot and pick up new skills quickly. This is a unique opportunity for those who excel at both system change and point solution, and enjoy acquiring broad experience. We follow the agile methodologies of two week sprints, refinement, scrum, and retrospectives. Terraform Enterprise team is spread across 9 time zones in 4 countries. We are 100% remote.
About this role
The Terraform Enterprise product continues to evolve to meet the needs of our customers. We are looking for an engineer who has experience in or is interested in system validation, test automation and Terraform development.
In this role, you can expect to:
First three months:
- Gain proficiency in the Terraform Enterprise application and are able to replicate customer’s user experience in installation, configuration, execution and monitoring.
- Execute the monthly release process, gain deep understanding in the test coverage and edge cases.
- Collaborate on a cross-functional team including Engineering, Product, and Design to deliver excellent customer experiences.
- Participate in code reviews and shadow senior engineers in development and planning.
First three to six months:
- Participate in on-call rotation to resolve escalated critical product issues for customers.
- Automate and optimize the release test suites to minimize the cadence.
- Build, iterate on, and ship the Terraform modules, machine images, system configuration, and software that delivers Terraform Enterprise in customer environments.
- Maintain a reliable production application for our customers while working alongside infrastructure engineering.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have …
- A Bachelor or higher degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field.
- Some working experience in infrastructure or application software development.
- Site reliability or infrastructure engineering background with knowledge in application development, systems/infrastructure engineering concepts such as infrastructure as code, software defined networking, monitoring, and virtualization.
- Practitioner experience with Terraform and other HashiCorp products
- Deployment experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working on an Enterprise product and / or participating in on-call support for production incidents is a plus.