Sr. Support Engineer II, Vault
About the Role
HashiCorp is looking for an experienced customer facing engineering professional to join its Vault Support Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of highly talented and self driven Support Engineers and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s fast growing business.
This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the support engineering and Vault Open Source/Enterprise teams.
You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, constant learning, and iteration. You are a self-motivated, tactful, detail-oriented person with an insatiable desire to learn new technology and an eye for automation, customer experience, process improvement, and efficient problem solving.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Support Engineering, the Senior Support Engineer will be a key member of the Global Support organization and advocate for customer satisfaction and success. The Senior Support Engineer will troubleshoot complex issues related to Vault and Vault Enterprise and work to find viable solutions while maintaining detailed communication with customers and responsiveness to their needs. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product meetings. The Senior Support Engineer will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug, and resolve the customer issue and will serve as a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. When possible the Senior Support Engineer will update and improve product documentation, guide feature development, and build tools to make the support team as a whole more successful. This position is remote and involves collaborating with a global, remote team.
In this role you can expect to:
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by building or using existing test environments and tools.
- Communicate tactfully with customers: gather info, provide diagnostic and resolution steps, convey process and product guidance
- Solve incoming technical support requests within SLA, including high-severity urgent cases
- Continuously increase knowledge and help train the team on 3rd party technologies that integrate with Vault and on new Vault features
- Identify and communicate product usage trends, bugs, and feature requests at weekly product engineering meetings
- Collaborate with account managers to schedule, coordinate, and lead customer debugging calls
- Document and record all activity with customers in accordance with both internal and external security standards
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides
- Continuously improve processes and tools in collaboration with the team
- Periodic on-call rotation for production-down issues
- Provision and bootstrap a Vault cluster without assistance.
- Understanding of Vault/Vault Enterprise and the interaction with other products within the Hashicorp Product Suite.
- Begin preparation for the Vault Certification Exam.
- Complete the Vault Certification Exam
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer debugging calls
- Effectively triage and respond to all severity inquiries independently.
- Contribute to Support 1 Knowledge Base articles.
- Complete 10 Support Tickets with the guidance of more senior team members.
- Effectively triage customer support tickets and understand the difficulty of tickets being submitted.
- Begin working on Sev 2 tickets towards the end of the first 60 days.
- Respond to Sev 1/production down issues with minimal assistance.
- Independently find points of error and identify root cause by examining log files.
- Create ongoing KB articles that will benefit all customers, 1 article per month.
- Meet performance goals set by management for ticket closure per month, SLA, and CSAT.
You may be a good fit for our team if you have:
- A minimum of 8 years of DevOps Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Support Engineering.
- Experience with scripting tools of choice to help automate the reproduction environments (E.g. Bash or Terraform)
- Ability to read complex code for troubleshooting and familiarity with Github.
- Experience with REST APIs and command line tools. (E.g. Postman, Shell etc.)
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving urgent, high-visibility technical problems in alignment with internal processes.
- Experience in authentication protocols such as OIDC , LDAP , AD and Kerberos etc.
- Experience with Cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP) & cloud native landscapes
- Appreciation of RDB & no-SQL type databases
- Security inclined with an interest in identity, access & secrets interfacing,
- Experience in basic network troubleshooting and commands.
- Strong understanding of Docker and Kubernetes.
- Good understanding of SSL/TLS and OpenSSH.
- Good understanding of Linux environment and commands for effective troubleshooting and log analysis.
- Experience with Vault Enterprise is a huge plus.
- Experience with GoLang is preferred.
- Works with stakeholders to resolve issues and provide solutions that ensure service delivery and effectiveness.
- Should be available to come to the office twice or thrice in week to manage a Hybrid work environment.
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale.
- Well organized, zeal to learn, excellent work ethic, attention to detail, self driven and motivated with the ability to deliver technical sessions whenever there is a need.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. (Technical writing experience is a plus).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science 'or' IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-AD1 #LI-Hybrid