Director of Engineering, Core App (Hybrid)
Hi, Future Homie!
As a Homie, you'll be part of an unstoppable team that puts customers first, embraces each day with excitement, and strives for excellence in everything you do. We’re revolutionizing the way small businesses manage their teams and grow their business. What this means for you is a shared passion for innovation and making a difference for the people we serve. So what do you say, will you join us on our mission to empower small businesses?
- A strong history of hands-on technical experience and a history of guiding teams through complex technical challenges to successful outcomes especially as part of large-scale distributed systems serving millions of users
- Demonstrated record of developing, coaching and managing engineers and Engineering Managers to build the whole organization
- You probably have 10+ years of experience managing engineers and 2+ years of experience managing Engineering Managers
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills with a proven ability to diagnose and understand challenges that span teams and technologies
- Clear and deep understanding of how to build engineering teams that build high-quality products and an ability to use influence across the department to promote effective engineering practices
- Experience recruiting and closing engineering candidates
- As a bonus, you are familiar with at least some of: small and medium business customers, especially local businesses; Ruby and Rails development; and, modern, scalable QA practices and approaches.
- Ability to collaborate in office weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
As a Homie, you will make an impact by:
Leading your teams in their mission to develop world class solutions for small business. You will partner with Engineering Management and Technical Leadership to help your teams, and the organization as a whole, scale to meet our future needs. You will use your experience and your influence to develop organizational approaches that will improve Hombase’s ability to deliver a resilient platform and world-class product for our Homebase customers. You are an Engineering Leader with excellent judgment and will help balance short-term needs with long-term organizational impact.
- You will oversee the growth of a division of our product engineering organization where you will manage and mentor other Engineering Managers
- You will manage teams of engineers working on the core Homebase application and a group of QA specialists and support them in their day to day work; additionally, you will lead the creation of new teams within your organization and across the Product Delivery division
- You will help recruit new engineering candidates
- You’ll be a key member of the Engineering Management team and bring new ideas about organizational development, scaling teams, improving processes etc.
What we offer our Homies:
- Stock Options - Everyone is an Owner!
- Comprehensive medical coverage for you and your eligible dependents - premiums 100% paid by Homebase!
- RRSP plan + 4% company match
- Employer supplemented Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Company-paid holidays and 20 days accrued PTO per year
- Continued learning and development stipend
- Paid parental leave
- Top-of-the-line equipment and stipend for workspace setup
- Work from home Monday, Thursday, & Friday
- Meals provided at our vibrant work spaces
- Team offsites and monthly opportunities to engage with fellow Homies
What to Expect During the Interview Process:
- Meet the Talent Acquisition team Ivana L.
- Meet the Hiring Manager Andrea C.
- Meet the Engineering Leadership team Justin N. & Steve K.
- Meet the Engineering Technical Leadership Justin L. & Diana Q.
- Meet the CTO Oliver F.
- Professional Reference Checks
- Background Check + Offer Stage
- Welcome to the team, Homie💜🎉
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Homebase:
At Homebase, we take pride in fostering a welcoming space where every Homie of every gender, age, orientation, culture and walk of life can be their full selves. Diverse perspectives empower us to build the best-in-class platform for small businesses and hourly shift workers. We recognize that experience comes in many forms, so if you think you’re close to what we’re looking for (even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications), we encourage you to apply!
Our mission is to make hourly work easier for local businesses and hourly workers. Homebase currently serves more than 100,000 small (but mighty) businesses with everything they need to manage their hourly teams: employee scheduling, time clocks, payroll, team communication, hiring, onboarding, and compliance. Just don’t call us “Human Capital Management.” We have built tools for the busiest businesses, so owners and employees can spend less time on bullsh*t and more time on what matters. The Homebase team brings small business expertise from Intuit, Square, OpenTable, Yelp, Gusto, and First Data. Homebase is backed by leading venture investors Bain Capital Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Cowboy Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Plus Capital, and GGV Capital.
At Homebase, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Homebase is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Accommodations will be provided during the hiring process if needed. Please advise us of any accommodations needed within your application to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
**Interview Recording Notice:
By participating in interviews with Homebase, you consent to the use of Metaview, a recording and transcription tool, during the interview process. Please be aware that all interviews may be recorded and transcribed for the purpose of evaluating candidates and ensuring the quality of our recruitment process. If you do not consent to being recorded, please inform the Talent Team at the beginning of the call, and appropriate arrangements will be made to accommodate your preference. Your privacy is important to us, and the recorded interviews will only be used for internal evaluation and assessment of candidates.