Staff+ Machine Learning Engineer - Generative AI
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Handshake is hiring Staff, Senior Staff, and Principal Machine Learning Engineers with a focus on Generative AI reporting to the Vice President of Engineering of the Data organization.
AI is the future and we are excited to invest in providing AI resources for our users on our platform. Is it possible to thoughtfully design a responsible, Generative AI-driven product, that can help our students progress from educational aspirations to career achievements? In this role, you will work on tackling that goal as part of a lean, high-visibility team. You will be responsible for helping advance our AI product and infrastructure vision towards our mission of democratizing opportunity for millions of students on Handshake.
- You will be a Force Multiplier - setting technical direction, shaping engineering culture, identifying and adopting industry best practices, designing effective partnerships across the company, mentoring and coaching peers, and more.
- You will be a Leader - enabling effective collaboration, high-quality execution, and technical excellence across the Data organization
- You will be an Innovator - developing algorithms and Machine Learning pipelines that connect users across the Handshake marketplace; from students looking for their first jobs and internships to employers sourcing candidates for high-priority roles.
- You will be a Collaborator - being an effective partner to product managers; you will work with product managers in driving new user experiences through Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing and build experiments that drive key product decisions and provide invaluable insights.
You are an experienced, hands-on senior engineering leader with extensive experience identifying problems, coming up with technical solutions, and driving projects to completion. You care about culture, mentorship, and collaboration just as much as you care about coding, architecture, and technical design. You have an extreme user-focus, you are comfortable with ambiguity, you can drive alignment, and you make thoughtful data-driven decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent technical experience.
- 4 years of industry experience
- MS/Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Statistics or a related field
- 7+ years of industry experience.
- Experience with modern Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Text-mining technologies.
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems, server-side engineering, and ML applications in consumer products.
- Experience using analytics/ML tools such as Python, R, Spark, BigQuery SQL, or Snowflake.
- Experience in any of Golang, Java, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with distributed computing frameworks such as Hadoop or Spark, or distributed training of Machine Learning models.
- Experience building applications atop of IAAS (Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, Azure Cloud Services, etc.)
- Experience in optimizing multi-sided marketplaces using ML algorithms.
- Experience working directly with cross-functional teams such as product management, analytics, engineering, and design.
- Excellent communication skills — ability to succinctly communicate results and tell compelling stories with data to an out-of-domain audience (e.g. presenting findings and deep-dives to senior leadership).
- Ability to diagnose technical problems, debug code, and automate routine tasks
$210,000-310,000 Note: This range covers 3 levels
Want to learn more about what it's like to work at Handshake? Check out these interviews from our team members!
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin, Poland, and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.