Software Engineering Manager, Gateway (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2023
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
You will be a leader of a Kong Gateway engineering team. These teams are responsible for the Open Source and Enterprise Kong Gateway, the foundational technology for our product offerings.
Your team will be responsible for building the core pieces of the gateway which include the router, balancer, plugins development kit (PDK), management API, observability metrics, distributed clustering infrastructure, as well as support for the growing number of protocols and interoperability needs of our customers.
Why should you want to work at Kong?
- We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
- APIs are driving innovation across every industry!
- Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
- Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
- We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
- Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
- Kong employees discuss our culture at our 2020 Company Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
- Over 250m+ downloads of our open source API gateway! Over 40k+ stars on Github between Kong API and Kong Insomnia!
What you'll be doing:
- Hire, mentor, and maintain healthy Engineering teams who value collaboration and innovation.
- Manage shift scheduling, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and training, assure high-quality work and SLA.
- Experience managing customer-facing, engineering support roles and has a breadth of experience across infrastructure, internal tooling, platforms, and on-premise products.
- Solid technical expertise for Linux systems troubleshooting, and profiling, experience with debugging tools such as gdb, systemtap, tcpdump, crash, or other.
- Own the customer escalation system technically, including collaboration with other departments, stakeholders (Sales, Customer Experience, Sales Engineering etc.) and where necessary customers.
- Leadership experience displaying ability to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes, debugging distributed services.
- Organize and manage your teams to fit constructively into the org as a whole and help the company succeed.
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders.
- Give constructive feedback to Engineers, conduct 1:1’s, address inter-personal issues, and conduct reviews.
- Suggest Engineering guidelines, principles and processes to improve the Engineering org.
- Assure high quality work and SLA adherence from the entire Engineering org.
- Any additional tasks required by manager.
What you'll bring:
- 4+ years of Eng. management experience.
- Experience managing remote teams.
- Experience doing reviews, hiring, comp.
- Demonstrated leadership of Engineering teams.
- Proven customer relationship skills sets.
- On-premise, cloud and hybrid product background.
- Experience working on an infrastructure product line.
Kong has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. Compensation varies depending on a wide array of factors, including but not limited to specific candidate location, role, skill set and level of experience. Certain roles are eligible for additional rewards including sales incentives depending on the terms of the applicable plan and role. Benefits may vary depending on location. US based employees are typically offered access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan, short and long term disability benefits, basic life and AD&D insurance, among others. The typical base pay range for this role in the CAD is $193,000 - $236,000 CAD.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong is THE cloud native API platform with the fastest, most adopted API gateway in the world (over 300m downloads!). Loved by developers and trusted with enterprises’ most critical traffic volumes, Kong helps startups and Fortune 500 companies build with confidence – allowing them to bring solutions to market faster with API and service connectivity that scales easily and securely.
83% of web traffic today is API calls! APIs are the connective tissue of the cloud and the underlying technology that allows software to talk and interact with one another. Therefore, we believe that APIs act as the nervous system of the cloud. Our audacious mission is to build the nervous system that will safely and reliably connect all of humankind!
For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
See more open positions at Kong
Something looks off?