Business Development Representative (BDR)
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2023
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
Why should you want to work at Kong?
Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
Why APIs Matter? APIs have been enabling innovation for decades!
Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
Kong employees exemplify our culture at our 2022 Sales Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
Over 250m+ downloads of our open source API gateway! Over 40k+ stars on Github between Kong API and Kong Insomnia!
About the role:
What you'll be doing: Your First 90 Days
By the end of month 1, you will:
• Have met your new team and had fun playing with some new tools
• Become a part of the wider Kong family
• Have had a successful sales boot camp training
• Have a good understanding of what makes Kong’s product offerings so special
• Understand how our Account Development, Marketing and Account Executive teams all work together
By the end of month 2, you will:
• Be comfortable talking to clients on the phone about Kong
• Have worked with our Account Executive team on your first opportunity
• Have shadowed a ton of calls and practiced several role plays
• Started delivering your ramp quota
By the end of month 3, you will:
• Know our sales funnel inside and out, and feel confident to add value to our sales org
• Show clear delivery of our sales methodologies
• Provide insights to both our Account Development and marketing organizations to help us to continue to iterate and improve
• Delivered against your ramp quota
What you'll bring:
• 1-2+ years of strong sales or customer-facing experience
• A self-starter with a track record of hitting and exceeding goals
• A ‘hunter’ mentality - comfortable prospecting, cold-calling, and following up on incoming leads and a strong desire to win.
• Ability and willingness to learn, react to and share lessons learned across the organization.
• Open to feedback and can apply to your daily workflow.
• Outstanding communication skills including both phone and written communication as well as active listening
• An extraordinary character with an incredible drive for success, high work ethic, curious by nature, and obsessed with smashing sales goals
• Validated time leadership skills and ability to work independently and through coaching
• Desire to work in a driven and fast-paced environment
• Passionate about cutting-edge technology with the aptitude to learn new and exciting IT software products, as well as, understand business critical solutions quickly
Role Overview & Key Responsibilities:
• Work with the Sales team to develop and lead inbound and outbound campaigns from idea generation through to qualified call
• Develop strong sales and product knowledge and interact with IT and business decision-makers via telephone, video, LinkedIn, and email
• Update lead and prospect activity in Salesforce to ensure effective lead management
• Set qualified introductory meetings for the Sales team
• Nurture early phase opportunities for future pipeline potential
• Exceed monthly and quarterly opportunity quota
• Build strong relationships with our marketing team and Account Executives, where we pull together to maximize the win for our business
• Invest in your self-development, focusing on the skills and attributes that will make you successful in your core role and get you set for future success
• And any additional tasks required by the manager
• Must be Located in the Greater London Area, and willing to work onsite in a hybrid role
Kong has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. Compensation varies depending on a wide array of factors, including but not limited to specific candidate location, role, skill set and level of experience. Certain roles are eligible for additional rewards including sales incentives depending on the terms of the applicable plan and role. Benefits may vary depending on location. US based employees are typically offered access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan, short and long term disability benefits, basic life and AD&D insurance, among others.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong is THE cloud native API platform with the fastest, most adopted API gateway in the world (over 300m downloads!). Loved by developers and trusted with enterprises’ most critical traffic volumes, Kong helps startups and Fortune 500 companies build with confidence – allowing them to bring solutions to market faster with API and service connectivity that scales easily and securely.
83% of web traffic today is API calls! APIs are the connective tissue of the cloud and the underlying technology that allows software to talk and interact with one another. Therefore, we believe that APIs act as the nervous system of the cloud. Our audacious mission is to build the nervous system that will safely and reliably connect all of humankind!
For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.