Staff Field Engineer - Canada
Canada · Remote
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
We are looking for a Staff Field Engineer to join the growing Professional Services team at Kong. As a Staff Field Engineer, you will be responsible for leading and guiding our customers throughout their technical journey with Kong, ensuring they receive the utmost value from their investment in our products. You'll serve as a technical advisor to many of our enterprise customers, consulting their teams through the implementation, deployment, and rollout phases of Kong technology and setting them up for long-term success. The work you do is instrumental in driving the adoption, overall satisfaction, and retention of our customers.
In this role, you will interface and collaborate with a variety of peers and partners as well as everyone in the customer environment from Developers to Executives, representing Kong culture and values every day. Apart from driving the successful delivery of customer-facing engagements, you will also with working and collaborating closely with Kong’s different cross-functional teams (Product, Engineering, Customer Success, CRE, and others). Working at Kong presents a unique opportunity to combine that challenge with the chance to help modernize enterprise software and learn about how businesses run in the digital age.
What's in it for you? This is an opportunity to work on cutting-edge, innovative customer projects involving new and exciting technology with diverse people all over the world. The knowledge you gain on our products and customer use cases will be applied to real-world usage and contribute to the continued innovation and enhancement of our technology. As a valuable member of the Kong professional services team, the work you do will be critical to our growth and success. You’ll be given thought leadership to help define what ‘good’ looks like in terms of production deployments, what is recommended, and why.
Why should you want to work at Kong?
Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
Why APIs Matter? APIs have been enabling innovation for decades!
Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
Kong employees exemplify our culture at our 2022 Sales Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years of relevant professional services experience
- Hands-on implementation experience with API gateway and/or API integrations in customer environments
- Practical working knowledge of API’s and microservices architectures
- Proficient in Linux environments including Cloud and Development tooling
- Kubernetes proficiency/ experience
- Experience with major cloud providers such as GCP, AWS, and Azure
- Experience with application development is preferred
- Prior experience working in the Open Source space and/or API Management or other Middleware/SaaS software companies
- Passion and determination for technology
- Team-oriented nature with an enjoyment for collaboration
- Self-awareness and strong communication skills are a must
- Exceptional organizational and change management skills with an ability to manage competing client demands
- Proven team player, and team builder who loves to work in a fast-growing and roll up their sleeves in a dynamic environment and can keep pace with constant change.
- Ability to travel to customer and Kong locations as needed (post-COVID)
- And any additional tasks required by manager
What you will be doing:
- Helping customer(s) across their entire full API lifecycle journey. Such engagements often involve remote preparation, and leading technical workshops for customer architects, developers, security and operations teams. You will be responsible for building solutions, addressing technical challenges, and providing hands-on technical implementation assistance across the Kong technology suite of products.
- Engaging with customers on billable projects, guiding them through the installation and implementation of Kong solutions in their environment.
- Lead customer discussions, driving outcome-based professional services and providing technical thought leadership across the customer adoption journey
- Collaborating internally with our Product Engineering, Customer Success, and Sales teams to ensure our customers are getting the most value out of their Kong solutions.
- Building tooling for another team or the wider company to help us push our technical boundaries and improve our ability to deliver consistently with high-quality
- Writing or editing technical documentation and knowledge base articles, including reference architecture materials, blogs, and design patterns based on customer experiences
- Producing tooling, informational documents/ white papers, and other marketing content.
- Above all, you’ll be acting as a stellar teammate for the rest of Kong
Kong has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States and Canada, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. Compensation varies depending on a wide array of factors, including but not limited to specific candidate location, role, skill set and level of experience. Certain roles are eligible for additional rewards including sales incentives depending on the terms of the applicable plan and role. Benefits may vary depending on location. US based employees are typically offered access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan, short and long term disability benefits, basic life and AD&D insurance, among others. The typical base pay range for this role in Canada is $155,000 - 183,000 CAD. This role does include variable pay on top of the base.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong is THE cloud native API platform with the fastest, most adopted API gateway in the world (over 300m downloads!). Loved by developers and trusted with enterprises’ most critical traffic volumes, Kong helps startups and Fortune 500 companies build with confidence – allowing them to bring solutions to market faster with API and service connectivity that scales easily and securely.
83% of web traffic today is API calls! APIs are the connective tissue of the cloud and the underlying technology that allows software to talk and interact with one another. Therefore, we believe that APIs act as the nervous system of the cloud. Our audacious mission is to build the nervous system that will safely and reliably connect all of humankind!
For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.