Junior Software Development Engineer - Frontend, Catalog Team (@Remote, Chile and Colombia)
About The Role
The Catalog team is responsible for the key infrastructure that allows users to efficiently post items on our platform and make them available for potential buyers. Our team leverages various technologies and workflows to provide a meaningful user experience to our sellers as well as the core foundation and data used by the rest of the application. The team manages some of the highest TPS services within OfferUp. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what we want to do and the possibilities are endless.
As a Junior Frontend Software Development Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and deploying multiple features with high operational excellence. Your responsibilities will include everything from design, writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members, and helping set up good coding patterns.
This role is only available outside the US and not available to any individual based within the US or any US territory.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- You will help create and deliver new web experiences for OfferUp using web technologies such as NodeJS, React, and React Native
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams across OfferUp to design and implement new features.
- Help maintain code quality in existing applications (mobile and web).
- Create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
You’ll Thrive In This Role If You Have
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Good knowledge of Data Structures and Object Oriented Design
- Experience with cross browser compatibility, client side security, browser tuning and optimization techniques/tools multi-tier large scale web architecture design patterns e.g. responsive design vs optimized design
- Knowledge in web optimization performance, and design patterns e.g. responsive design vs optimized design
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
Helpful, But Not Required
- Experience with Agile development
- Experience with AWS Cloud infrastructure
- Experience around any of the following: web package managers, Bower, bundler system, NodeJS, Python, webpack
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.