Senior Business Operations Analyst - Trust and Safety
About the Role:
Business Operations (Trust & Safety) is at the front line of re-commerce done well. Our job is to ensure the security, safety, and integrity of our marketplace for buyers and sellers who transact with us every single day. The scope of our charter includes risk detection, impact assessment, and design and implementation of mitigation actions and policies.
At OfferUp, you will be part of a purpose-driven community with a dynamic and versatile work environment. OfferUp Business Operations (Trust and Safety) is an integral part of a growing organization that values neighborly collaboration, passion, inventiveness, and data-driven decision-making. You will help create the future of re-commerce and make an important, positive impact on millions of OfferUp buyers and sellers.
Business Operations Analysts (Trust and Safety) analyze and mitigate unwanted user activity. This role requires outstanding business analysis skills, effective use of large and complex data sets, strong detail orientation, and the ability to define and recommend solutions to complex problems. It’s a great opportunity to flex your analytic muscle in a dynamic environment where intellectual curiosity, analytic tenacity, and creative problem-solving are highly valued.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Analyze unwanted user behavior and activity related to listing, selling and payment activities.
- Find trends, correlation, and patterns in complicated datasets via data mining, trend identification, root cause analysis, statistical analysis, and impact assessment.
- Innovate and implement new ways to countermeasure risk behavior by defining, optimizing, and organizing risk tools to restrict questionable activity.
- Partner with Product Management, Engineering, Data Science, Business Operations, Customer Support and other teams to implement and optimize mitigation activities.
- Communicate risk trends and mitigation results via weekly reports, ad hoc write-ups, and direct engagement with stakeholders at all levels throughout the organization.
- Lead moderate complexity projects including collaboration with business units and product management.
- Train and support downstream teams as well as assisting their peers.
- Organize, document and simplify Trust & Safety processes.
You'll thrive in this role if you have:
- Data-Driven Decision Making
- 4+ years working in an analytical role in a business context.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to define & clearly articulate success by metrics and data-driven measurements.
- Significant experience using data visualization/BI software for reporting and visualizations is required. Specifically, Tableau experience is a plus.
- Strong SQL skills, comfortable writing complex queries.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (i.e. Python, R)
- Self Starter:
- Ability to work effectively in an autonomous fashion, Creative thinker with “outside the box” solutions to challenging situations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under strict timelines with meticulous attention to detail and approach business problems with a sense of data-driven curiosity
- Demonstrates a strong sense for doing the right thing for our customers.
- Strong Communication Skills
- Proven ability to effectively communicate complex data and analysis to a wide range of both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication, and leadership skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders and partners.
- Team Player:
- Great team player who can be agile and flexible in fast-changing and undefined situations.
- Adaptable to ever-changing work environments and routines. Willing to step in on another task if it's outside of their planned workday.
- Success depends on building rapport and credibility with multiple stakeholders across the organization.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience in Trust and Safety
Compensation Range: $120,000
OfferUp offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to the business. Individual salaries within our ranges are determined through a variety of factors including, but not limited to education, experience, knowledge, skills and geography. All roles will receive equity in OfferUp as part of their compensation, the amount of equity varying depending on the individual’s level and experience.
Benefits (all US roles): In addition to our compensation package, this role is eligible to enroll in health insurance, healthcare savings and spending accounts, retirement savings benefits (401(k) plan with match), basic and voluntary life insurance, disability benefits, and paid time off for sick leave, family and/or medical leave, vacation, and 12 company holidays. Exempt employees: In regard to vacation time, OfferUp has a flexible vacation policy and, in general, full-time exempt employees will be expected to take 3-5 weeks (15-30 days) of pre-planned vacation time per year. Vacation needs are flexible and will naturally vary from year to year based on individual circumstances and business needs. In regard to sick time, all full-time employees (exempt and non-exempt) will be granted 12 days (96 hours) of sick time per year (pro-rated if the start date is other than January 1). Your recruiter can share more details about specific benefits during the interview process.
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.