Junior Software Development Engineer - Backend, Explore Team (@Remote, Chile and Colombia)
About the role:
The OfferUp Explore team is responsible for all things Search and Browse. We own the key infrastructure that enables users to explore our marketplace and powers a user’s various search and personalized home feeds. Our team leverages available and emerging technologies to deliver outstanding search results and a meaningful search experience for millions of users on OfferUp’s world-class local peer-to-peer marketplace.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. As a Software Development Engineer in our team, you will own and execute delivery of sub features, participate in architecture discussions and do regular code reviews. You’ll be responsible for working with our Product team, Bizops experts, client developers, and backend peers to come up with new efficient, scalable solutions and iterate on existing ones.
This role is only available outside the US and not available to any individual based within the US or any US territory.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features and/or iterations of existing features.
- Contribute to developing the technical strategy for Explore platform/features.
- Develop, test, release, and document code using best software engineering practices to ensure timely service delivery and ease of maintenance.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Collaborate if needed with third-party providers, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs.
- Identify, track and find solutions to software defects identified both internally and externally.
You’ll Thrive In This Role If You Have
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Are a highly motivated person with a history of delivering quality code.
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following – Java, Python, C/C++, Golang, Scala, PHP (or equivalent programming language)
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Exceptional self-management skills during the execution of complex problems and tasks
- You desire a fast-moving, continuous flow development environment
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
Helpful, But Not Required
- Experienced with Agile development
- Experience with building highly scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Working knowledge of eCommerce search systems
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S. We are changing the way people buy and sell in their communities by providing a uniquely simple and trusted experience on our iOS and Android apps. Our goal is to be the platform of choice for local commerce by connecting buyers and sellers through an interface that makes selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from a mobile device. OfferUp was founded in 2011 and has grown to serve local markets across the U.S. with more than 1 in 5 adults using OfferUp in 2022.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- Top 10 Shopping app in the App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.