Staff Software Engineer, Frontend - Design Systems
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
In addition to building and maintaining components, you’ll be responsible for helping fellow Frontend engineers contribute to the overall system, serving as a technical lead on the ongoing work, aligning component APIs across the system, and working with other engineers and designers within Slack Kit to help define a shared vision for how Slack builds its product interface.
Our existing components and patterns are used in thousands of places throughout the code base, and implemented by the majority of frontend engineers here. We need engineers who want to make that experience as enjoyable and seamless as possible.
What you will be doing
- Collaborate with designers and fellow engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code that adds to and enhances our existing library.
- Brainstorm improvements to our design system’s user experience such as Figma plugins, robust documentation, interactive component sandboxes like Storybook, and more.
- Lead technical strategy and efforts to push our Design System forward with insightful and forward-looking approaches that have an impact on an entire engineering function and tackle large open-ended problems.
- Explore new technologies to push the design system forward and enabling improved developer experience for the scale and size of the product & frontend team today.
- Set the vision for strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Advise and guide the efforts of this new initiative through delegation to senior technical leaders.
- Improve the accessibility throughout the product by ensuring our core components are all fully usable by users of assistive technologies.
- Communicate updates and changes outwardly to frontend engineers.
- Document and share best practices more broadly with the frontend team.
What you should have
- 2+ years experience with React and Redux, Lodash, and/or CSS preprocessors like LESS or Sass.
- Strong communication, organization, and project management skills.
- User experience and design sensibilities.
- Ability to boil down fuzzy or complex initiatives into actionable tasks. Willingness to collaborate and enjoy serving within a larger community of engineers and product designers.
- Experience with complex API and library design and implementation, with an emphasis on modularity.
- A disciplined approach to development, testing, documentation and code structure in a highly collaborative team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more, and take things higher.
- Self-awareness, a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and empathy.
Bonus points if you have experience with
- Using or developing within a design system at scale.
- Using Slack and a keen interest in making it better.
- Turning complex product specs into features.
- Accessibility, internationalization, or localization.
- An understanding of how to evaluate conflicting needs and navigate the best path forward for the broader system.
- Web development, distributed systems and parallel processing.
- Testing and documentation tools including Applitools, Cypress, Storybook, and Zeroheight.
- Development tools such as Kubernetes, Webpack, ESLint, and TypeScript.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $175,600 to $254,700.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.