Senior Software Engineer (Machine Learning)
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategorySoftware Engineering
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
About the Team
Slack is looking for an experienced senior engineer to join its Core Product organization to help design, develop, and maintain the Search product experience for all Slack entities. The Search product is an integral and compelling feature of Slack as it enables our customers to find and discover messages, channels, people, files, and other entities within their workspaces. It is also of central importance to our efforts around generative AI, helping to build products that are informed by the full wealth of knowledge in our customers’ companies. We are seeking a candidate who can continue to evolve our system to be accurate, reliable, performant, and scalable, while helping push us to the cutting edge of search technology, incorporating the latest and greatest developments in the realm of information retrieval.
Demonstrating your deep experience in leading efforts to research, develop, and deploy pioneering machine learning algorithms, you will improve upon, or create new, ranking systems, associated models, and other tools to power the Search product within Slack. You’re a creative problem-solver, passionate about digging into complicated problems and applying your scientific knowledge to collect and analyze data, identify problems and come up with novel methods to address them. Your expertise in working with standard languages like Java, Python, PHP/Hack, and SQL will be essential to enable you to realize and execute upon your designs.
You’ll be working closely with other software and machine learning engineers to develop the Search product. You’ll also be collaborating closely with product engineers and managers to make Search support the needs of all our users.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be inquisitive, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, we'd love to speak with you
What you will be doing:
- Improve Slack’s search quality and user experience through optimal query analysis and relevance matching across different searchable entities
- Conducting applied research in the Search product, you will design and improve on ranking system and models through the analysis of messaging and other searchable entity data
- Own and evolve the Search system to enable long-term, scalable growth
- Identify gaps and improvements to existing systems, and contribute to technical roadmap planning
- Partner with product management to conceptualize and build new features for the Search product
- Multi-functionally collaborate with other teams to build search functionality for new Slack products
- Mentor other junior and intermediate-level engineers
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- 4+ years of industry work experience in Machine Learning applied in one or more of the related fields: Ranking, Search Engine, and Recommendation systems
- Solid hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing and modeling of complex data sets to identify the essence of problems
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects and guide other team members
- Strong problem-identification and solving skills
- Excellent communication skills to explain complex technical concepts to product management and engineering leaders
- Strong CS fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, and statistics
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages such as Java, JS, Python, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience required
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.For New York-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $172,500 to $258,700.For Colorado-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $156,800 to $215,600.For Washington-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $156,800 to $237,200.For California-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $172,500 to $258,700.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.